Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: External Flash for D3s and tripod?? Recommendations ?

External Flash for D3s and tripod?? Recommendations ?

Hey Everyone,

I need a external flash for my d3s, I am not going to use the flash that often. Probably like once or twice a week or every two weeks, but I need one. I would like to stay below $450 on the flash, also if you can recommend me a good tripod, also below or $400....Will use it mostly for night photography....

Thanks everyone.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: External Flash for D3s and tripod?? Recommendations ?

Hi ???,

I guess with a job like that, your name is a secret but I digress (already )

Regarding flash, the first that comes to mind are something like Nikon's SB600, SB800 or SB900 range, power and features increasing as you go up the price range. Sorry, I don't know how far up the range $450 gets you, certainly to the SB600 and probably the SB800. Or there are third party flashes, but these are likely to integrate less well automatically unless a dedicated interface is used.

For general flash advice, there is a (two part) CiC tutorial:
    Camera Flash, Part 1: Light Quality & Appearance
    Camera Flash, Part 2: Flash Ratios & Exposure

For general tripod advice, there is another CiC tutorial:
    Selecting & Using a Camera Tripod

There is also a good thread on the topic; Best Tripod and head for stability

Finally, you may find this CiC Techniques page useful:
    Intro & Common Obstacles in Night Photography

Cheers,

Re: External Flash for D3s and tripod?? Recommendations ?

The Nikon SB-900 is about $450 - here http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SB-900-S...2618934&sr=1-4 and you shouldn't need anything better than that. I don't think there is much better than that. But have you considered the Nissin di866? I have seen several reviews that put it equal (and in several respects better) than the Nikon. For example it has a USB so you can download firmware upgrades when a new camera comes out. It has a slightly higher (60) GN than the Nikon which is 57, I think. It's about $300 here http://www.amazon.com/Nissin-Di866-D...2619091&sr=1-5