Thread: Anyone know anything about this: Sigma 70-300mm ?

Real Name
    Chris

Anyone know anything about this: Sigma 70-300mm ?

I've read reviews saying the image quality of the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Autofocus Lens (a $200 us lens) between 70 and 200 with mid-f-stop rivals the Canon 70-200 f/4 L. I've only found a few reviews and find this very hard to believe. But, anything is possible. Anyone with experience (no Sigma dealer any where near me) please let me know. Just my curious nature requesting. And, yes Colin, I know "Curiosity killed the Cat".

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Anyone know anything about this: Sigma 70-300mm ?

Hi Chris,

I wouldn't know about image quality, but I think that lens only 'does its macro thing' between 200 and 300mm - if that's important to you.

That said, I guess the performance you're talking of is regarding its non-macro use.
    I just sold one on e-Bay recently for £65, s/h obviously.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks Dave, but I have personally not seen this lens. Just happened by an article giving praise to this lens and find it hard to believe an inexpensive zoom can match the 70-200 f4 L. Checked B&H and the reviews are good, but I'm in the belief that this lens is simply "good" optical quality for the price. I just am hoping someone has some experience with this and can give me a more accurate view of how good it is.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by hoffstriker View Post
    Thanks Dave, but I have personally not seen this lens. Just happened by an article giving praise to this lens and find it hard to believe an inexpensive zoom can match the 70-200 f4 L. Checked B&H and the reviews are good, but I'm in the belief that this lens is simply "good" optical quality for the price. I just am hoping someone has some experience with this and can give me a more accurate view of how good it is.
    Hi, Chris;

Sorry, I haven't used the lens either, so I'm not actually answering your question. But at slrgear, their testing certainly doesn't seem to show that it "can match the 70-200 f4 L." They compare it to the Canon EF 70-200 f/4-5.6, and say the Canon wins in every category. The Canon is twice the price, but they're certainly not suggesting you can get equal performance for half the price.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Chris

That's more of what I expected to see out of it Rick. Thanks for the link.

Real Name
    Dennis

Chris:
    Here is my 2cent: Sigma EX glass is almost equivalent to Canon L, and Sigma lenses' prices are usually a little more than half of Canon lenses' prices.
    The Sigma lens in your question is not EX. So, I agree with you that it is hard to believe that its IQ can be closed to Canon L.
    Dennis

Real Name
    Steaphany

I have one of these.

It came with and was part of the original kit for the Sigma SA-9 35mm film camera. I've used it with my SD14 and get acceptable results. As for the $200US price, if you really want one, look on ebay. Mine came in a package deal that included a SA-9 and a 28-80mm Macro Zoom all for $50US.

As for side by side comparison with a Canon L, I haven't done such tests.

Real Name
    Steaphany

Here is a cropped photo that I shot yesterday evening:

This was a wild Rabbit that I saw having dinner when I was out shooting wild flowers. This was shot through my Sigma 70-300mm lens on my SD14 with the settings:

Capture Date: 4/28/2010 12:46:24 AM
    Exposure Mode: A - Aperture Priority AE
    Exposure Compensation: 0
    ISO Setting: 100
    White Balance Setting: Sunlight
    Color Mode: Unknown
    Flash: Off
    Shutter Speed: 1/25s
    Aperture Value: F8
    Metering Mode: Center Area Metering
    Focus Setting: AF-S - Single Auto Mode
    Focal Length: 300 mm (70-300)
    Resolution: HI
    Drive Mode: Self-Timer 2s

Note that the Rabbit's whiskers from above the eyes and from around the mouth are resolved. A point that you need to consider is that the Rabbit was eating and the exposure is a long 1/25th.

This crop was extracted from the X3F file by IrfanView which only works with the embedded JPG and no manipulations were performed.

To me this lens does the job.

Real Name
    Steaphany

Admittently. since the bunny photo is crap (Details resolved but clarity is not great, "Bad Bunny, Next time stay still"), here is another shot earlier the same day of something static with the 70-300mm lens set to Macro 300mm:

Again, just a crop of the embedded JPG, EXIF:

Capture Date: 4/28/2010 12:21:50 AM
    Exposure Mode: A - Aperture Priority AE
    Exposure Compensation: 0
    ISO Setting: 100
    White Balance Setting: Sunlight
    Color Mode: Unknown
    Flash: Off
    Shutter Speed: 1/125s
    Aperture Value: F8
    Metering Mode: Evaluative Metering
    Focus Setting: AF-S - Single Auto Mode
    Focal Length: 300 mm (70-300)
    Resolution: HI
    Drive Mode: Self-Timer 2s

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks for the images Steaphany. Which lens (exactly) are you using? I believe this may not be the one that I was referring to originally. I was referring to the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro which is supposedly the higher end lens. But, either way thanks. Now, is it just me or is there a rather shallow depth of field on this lens you used considering you were using F/8?

With the lack of information on this item, I'll probably wait a tad longer (until I am back to work) and simply buy the Canon 70-200 F/4.

Real Name
    Steaphany

Chris,

My lens does NOT have a DG designation, though the specifications are identical: 70-300mm f/4-5.6, 58mm Ø, Macro at 200-300mm with a minimum focus of .95 meters. ( I wish Sigma would put model numbers on their lenses so that this confusion could be avoided ) It was one of two kit lenses that Sigma bundled with the SA-9.

When I purchased the SA-9, I was simply after a film based camera body that would match the lenses that I have with my SD14. The accompanying lenses were just a bonus. I did not have the greatest expectations for kit lenses, especially being old fashioned with a preference for primes, but they do deliver acceptable performance.

The wild flower was shot in macro mode at a distance of roughly 1 to 2 meters, the individual blossoms actually under 5 mm across, and the depth of field is right where I expected and wanted.

Personally, I'm biased towards Sigma's DG EX class of lenses. The DG series is actually intended for 35 mm film and full frame 35 mm sized imager cameras. Since my SD14's imager is 20.7 x 13.8 mm, the large DG lens image circle means that I'm staying well within the optimal performance area of the lens, which also applies to the SA-9 kit lenses. Sigma's marketing describes the EX series as being higher quality, but they never explicitly explain how or why they are better and the technical performance graphs on the Sigma web site do not readily permit a side my side comparison. Worse still are their obsoleted products are quickly removed and then there is no historical data to fall back on when needing to look up older lenses.