Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Crop Advice

Crop Advice

I have gone back to basics in an attempt to get to grips with the new camera. So its flowers and puppy dogs for a while

These shots are of a fabric rose but I cannot make my mind up which crop suits the subject best. Any opinions?

Steve

Crop Advice

Crop Advice

Crop Advice

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Crop Advice

I'd vote for #3. It has the feel of a still life painting, and has an anchor for the subject. 1&2 give too much of an abstract feel for my taste.

Cheers,
    Rick

Yeah, I'd go for #3 too. You could even try moving flower heart towards a vertical third line. What's the new camera?

Real Name
    Steve

I don't like #1 or #2 and I'm not too fond of #3. So I don't know really. I had a go and a bit like #2 but more evenly lit. However I'm crap at cropping so this is only an idea.

Crop Advice

Good advice Rob. I bought a used 40d so that my daughter could have my 450d when she starts her A level in photography. The condition of the 40d is excellent - almost mint (from MPB who give a 6 month warranty). I cost £340 for the body so thats nearly £300 less than the 450d when I bought it brand new. The difference in handling is unbelievable it makes the gripped 450d feel like a toy. I am well pleased. Although I have got one or two dust bunnies. If I cannot remove them with a blower I will take it in for a clean

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Although I have got one or two dust bunnies. If I cannot remove them with a blower I will take it in for a clean
    Let me be quite clear about this... I'm not advising you to do this, but I have a Green Clean system and it works very well. It's what some camera shops use to clean sensors with anyway, but they charge at least £30 for a few minutes work. You can 'hoover' the dust out with the can and nozzle, if that doesn't work you use the wet/dry swabs. And if that doesn't do it you can use a Brillo pad. That was a joke. You need a good measure of courage the first time you do it - bit like your first parachute jump (never done it myself), or having your nipple pierced (not done that either). http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...sors-/p1015783

Hi,

I hope mine will help you.

wirefox.jpg

Radu Dinu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 18th March 2010 at 08:15 PM.

With that lighting and background I also prefer No. 3. Maybe the tighter crops would work better under different conditions.

You certainly won't regret the 40D, although the extra weight is more noticeable after you have carried it around all day.

The 40D auto sensor shaker does reduce dust spots but several times a year I have to clean my sensor. I use the Delkin Digital Duster which also has a mini vacuum cleaner and wet wipes option. But there are quite a few excellent cleaning systems available now.

And if that doesn't do it you can use a Brillo pad. That was a joke.
    Whoops...I must make a point of reading the whole post in future

Radu, Steve, thanks for taking time to improve on these images although I am starting to side with Steve's appraisal.

You certainly won't regret the 40D, although the extra weight is more noticeable after you have carried it around all day.
    Yes and it wakes me up if I roll over in bed Seriously though Geoff my first impressions are extremely positive. I must admit when using the 450d I did wonder if I should perhaps have gone for a Nikon.....I have absolutely no doubts anymore...and the meds are starting to kick in nicely.

As for the DIY sensor cleaning I will get the parachute jump and the nipple piercing appointment out of the way before I start to contemplate such a drastic life changing experience.

STeve

Steve,
    Excuse me,just now I saw I give You first stage of pp.Final image is below.
    Radu Dinu
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Steve

I suppose it does look like ...... well a beautiful thing.