Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ivanhoe or a pile of rocks with cars and wire fences

Real Name
    Steve

Ivanhoe or a pile of rocks with cars and wire fences

This castle was in my old school grounds and it appears to have fallen into disrepair, with spray can vandalism and the tower is even more of a ruin. It was blown up by Cronwell by the way and is featured in a novel.

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Ivanhoe or a pile of rocks with cars and wire fences

Number 4 is a wonderful shot: the successive arches framing the landscaping seem to draw the eye out to the garden, then back in to the worn thresholds and stonework.

1 & 2 give the feel of exploring a ruined building. 2 especially, with the grass growing in the interior, and the visible hole in the wall for one of the timbers that formed the floor of the upper story (second floor, for us Americans ).

What novel was this in? Ivanhoe (from your title), or something else by Scott?

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Steve

I went to the school right next to it but although this is the real Ivanhoe I have only seen the film. The school was established in 1567 and one building was older than that; a tunnel ran from the castle right under my seat in my form classroom, it was a tunnel and very deep anyway. cheers, I was not too pleased when I got there to find it in the state it was.

I spent many a lazy afternoon bunking off school at the top of the tower not featured here because even less of it exists now than did then.

Real Name
    Rick

That's very cool!!

It's a shame it was school, though. Having to sit and memorize things can make the most romantic setting seem stifling. On the other hand, if you have to go to school, better this than the kind of anonymous brick institutions many of us went to.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Wendy

Very Nice Arith!!!! 4 & 1 in that order are my favourites. No, 1 & 4... hmm I think it's a tie. Love 2 & 3 also, too bad about the car and wire. Still a great shot though. Is it my eyes, or could 2 & 3 use a slight counterclockwise rotation.

Sad that it's not kept up, it can't be replaced.

Wendy

Real Name
    Steve

They should keep it up because they actually charged me £3.90 to get in, I can see a lot of work has been done with iron fences and even a stairway up the tower, where before I used to climb up the outside to a place at the top which no longer exists. There was graffiti but it was in latin and carved, not there now though.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/s...show=nav.11638
    Last edited by arith; 20th March 2010 at 11:15 AM.

What a beautiful place. I like No4 too it has a good sense of perspective. It may be me (though I dont think so because No 2 seems OK) but there seems to be a colour cast. Easily rectified in RAW but I cant quite make out whether its green or yellow (or both)

Stve

Real Name
    Steve

Probably both, I don't know. Cheers steve. I'm sort of lazy and always leave the camera on 5600K then changed it to 6500K after realising I haven't got a white point, got my nice sharp pic and then mess it all up again to make it look more dramatic.

When I got there I was a bit put out by the entrance price, when I was at school I found this place great to hide in but the private school next to it seems a little closer with kiddies playing and that put me off a bit as did the wire fence preventing me moving far enough away. So I only took ten and no HDR preferring to fiddle about with ACR to get in range.

The rest can be seen here as can a lot of rubbish:

http://public.fotki.com/Arith/first-quarter-2010/

I do like 3 & 4. As Steve said, there appears to be a slight colour cast going on and I think the arch-way in number 3 needed to be a bit closer to the left 1/3 line. All in all, nice shots!