Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First attempt at photoshop border

Real Name
    Grant

First attempt at photoshop border

I took this photo on the Atherton Tableland which is in Tropical North Queensland but at 1000m altitude, so it can be quite cool even in summer. I wanted to photograph the wind farm but after setting up my camera I looked behind and thought this was a better scene. It is my first attempt to photoshop a border, etc. Any constructive criticism would be very welcome.

First attempt at photoshop border

Grant

Re: First attempt at photoshop border

I like it. Tastefully done, does not detract from the photo. My only suggestion, and I am by no means an expert, I would maybe think about making the type a little darker.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by mastamak View Post
    I took this photo on the Atherton Tableland which is in Tropical North Queensland but at 1000m altitude, so it can be quite cool even in summer. I wanted to photograph the wind farm but after setting up my camera I looked behind and thought this was a better scene. It is my first attempt to photoshop a border, etc. Any constructive criticism would be very welcome.
    Hi Grant,

Well you succeeded in retaining the EXIF data (using Photoshop CS) and your image tagging puts me to shame

Border looks good as Terry says. I think I agree about the type shade, perhaps try it 'cow' black no darker.

I think I might try a little more dynamic range in the picture itself, although I appreciate it would be easy to over-egg it and lose the misty feeling, so care would be needed.

Nice composition too, btw.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Grant

Dave and Terry,

Thanks for the comments. Dave, can you tell me how to view the EXIF data for images posted on CinC. That would be very handy to know.

Grant

Real Name
    John

I actually think the border distracts from the image, only because it is a single image and it competes with the image. I would rather see a slide show of similar imagery with dividers or text slides between giving a story or explanation of the next slide.

That being said, I like the image for what it is and I don't think it is enhanced by the border for this particular image.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by mastamak View Post
    Dave and Terry,

Thanks for the comments. Dave, can you tell me how to view the EXIF data for images posted on CinC. That would be very handy to know.

Grant
    Hi Grant,

I wrote this last night in another thread.

If you follow the Regex link, in the page that opens, read the pink box top right;
    a) Drag the button to your browser toolbar.
    b) Follow the link for Alan Raskin's Firefox plugin and install it (this gives you right click options to view Image EXIF data)
    c) If you're using IE, switch to Firefox! then repeat one or both steps as necessary.

If nothing else, you can always (whatever the browser you use) save that Regex link as a Favorite/Bookmark and paste the image url into the box top left and see the EXIF (if it is there).

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 27th February 2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added Regex link here too

Hi Grant
    This is what I use http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/download.htm and once installed [freeware] you can right click the image and pull up the Exif info which sometimes includes the number of shutter releases the camera has done - quite a useful feature if you buy a secondhand camera
    Rob