Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody have ever used Photo Pos Pro tool for photo editing?

Does anybody have ever used Photo Pos Pro tool for photo editing?

I just want to know that is there any difference between Photoshop and Photo Pos Pro?
    What would be the best and easy solution for Photo editing services?
    Please do let me know.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Does anybody have ever used Photo Pos Pro tool for photo editing?

Have never used that piece of software, but...I am a whiz bang at finding stuff using Google & YouTue.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...%20editor&sm=1
    The fact that you posed this question indicates a newbie at PP...PS takes years to master.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Most people would suggest Photoshop is the "best" tool out there as it is what most pros and advanced amateurs use; but it takes a long time to become competent in using it and it is not cheap.

There is no "easy" per se; it all depends on what you want to do. Photo Pos Pro. Never heard of it.

Real Name
    Paul

Had a quick Google of Photo Pos Pro and for sure the difference between this and Photoshop is about $600. So it all depends what you want to do with your images. Whatever it is Photoshop will do it for you ... at a price and it does take some time to master it. If you're new to post processing I'd say download Photo Pos (it won't cost anything) and see what it can do for one and get used to post processing terminology and basic practices. If it does all you want then fantastic, if after a while you want to do more then think about upgrading.

Real Name
    Ian

Downside is that there is no Mac version.

Would also suggest that there is huge support and resources for Photoshop CS6, with this Photo Pos Pro......?

Depends on whether you want a free software or the one that most others use.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

I looked at some of the reviews posted on CNET - they vary between "Fantastic" and "Contains malware and hijacks your search engine and browser settings", and also "installs spyware".
    Not sure if I would be willing to take a chance on this.
    GIMP might be a better free solution.

Real Name
    John

Not that I have mentioned it before but Rawtherapee is not a bad place to start. It's free and capable but do read the manual and install the other software it suggests at some point. It's best to stick with the sliders who's name ordinary people understand at first other than may be the auto levels button which will whack the ones that need to be understood into what are usually sensible places that can be adjusted. The manual helps with most of the controls and googling it's name will help as most packages have similar things if not google rawtherapee what ever it's called.

It wont do local work such as cloning, healing, dodging and burning. That is left to the GIMP which is easy to use for this. Using the GIMP fully is as much of a challenge as PS. There are plenty of good tutorials about on both but it's best not to run before you can walk. The same applies to Rawtherapee - the clever stuff comes in once the basics are correct. Even that can take a while.

John
    -

Real Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Kris V View Post
    I looked at some of the reviews posted on CNET - they vary between "Fantastic" and "Contains malware and hijacks your search engine and browser settings", and also "installs spyware".
    Not sure if I would be willing to take a chance on this.
    GIMP might be a better free solution.
    It only installs these add ons/'malware' with your permission.

Yep it tries damned hard to get you to just click 'accept' each time (rather than cancel) and then asks at the end of it all for a donation with a very small cancel button on a w95/w98 type interface, but thats no doubt how they finance this venture. You cannot call it hijacking if it asks for your permission to change browsers and you give it!

So I guess many of the people installing this are not that computer savvy either if they are getting malware.

Down to brass tacks......

It has a very easy to understand interface that matches its overall w95/98 look, but it doesn't appear to support RAW files, which is a problem.

That is as far as I have gone with it. As a simple jpeg editor giving an introduction to editing, it probably is ok, but the RAW limitation means you then need to use something else to read and convert these files.

My advice....even if you do use this as an introduction, the support and help you would receive for something like Photoshop will far outweigh the 'free-ness' of this software in the long run. So bite the bullet now and start your learning curve on Photoshop CS6 here and now. It makes sense, rather than fiddling around with fifteen year old looking software. Or learn the GIMP.

I want to give big-ups to all of you friends for knowing the facts about Photo Pos Pro tool.

Real Name
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post

So I guess many of the people installing this are not that computer savvy either if they are getting malware.

My advice....even if you do use this as an introduction, the support and help you would receive for something like Photoshop will far outweigh the 'free-ness' of this software in the long run. So bite the bullet now and start your learning curve on Photoshop CS6 here and now. It makes sense, rather than fiddling around with fifteen year old looking software. Or learn the GIMP.
    Other than being very cautious, one way of helping minimise the chances of installing 'crapware' is never to accept the software's offer to do a 'default install' - that is quite often where the software 'assumes' you gave permission to install toolbars, search engines etc etc - always take the option to make the installation decisions yourself.

A reasonable alternative to those starting out in PP is Photoshop Elements which has a lesser learning curve and in version 12 is very capable and well supported by tutorials, videos etc.

steve

One of the most important possibilities that the Photo Pos Pro software offers is the ability to expand the capabilities of the software yourselves.You have an idea for a new feature that does not exist in the program.You can share the new features which you have created with anyone you wish simply by sending them the relevant files

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post

Yep it tries damned hard to get you to just click 'accept' each time (rather than cancel) and then asks at the end of it all for a donation with a very small cancel button on a w95/w98 type interface, but thats no doubt how they finance this venture. You cannot call it hijacking if it asks for your permission to change browsers and you give it!

Down to brass tacks......

It has a very easy to understand interface that matches its overall w95/98 look, but it doesn't appear to support RAW files, which is a problem.

That is as far as I have gone with it. As a simple jpeg editor giving an introduction to editing, it probably is ok, but the RAW limitation means you then need to use something else to read and convert these files.

That sounds good to me. Usually the damage is done when it comes to accepting terms and conditions. Those are generally far to long to read and may not clearly state what else will be done either. If using free software it's best to stick with open source as generally other free stuff will be doing something or the other.

It can take some time but one way of finding open source software in this case would be to google open source photo editing. Lots if links will come up and some will contain software that isn't open source and even costs money so it's a case of being persistent. Using Linux instead of open source can help too as some run on windows as well and on mac. There are also windows and mac specific packages about.

Support and user base bleats from people can be a bit misleading. Rawtherapee for instance has it's own forum. Googling it's name plus the feature that needs to be used will bring up additional help. That's a fact with just about any package. User base comments on something like the GIMP are widely exaggerated. 2% - a very bad joke. It has a lot of facilities and finding the right tutorial past the basics can be difficult as it can be on other similar packages.

John
    -

Real Name
    Russell

Try Google NIK it is FREE also On1 Photo has FREE stuff.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Try Google NIK it is FREE also On1 Photo has FREE stuff.
    Nik is not a stand-alone editing tool, but is a set of filters that can be used with Photoshop or Lightroom. Much of what OnOne offers falls into the same category, although I understand they now have a fairly basic editor as part of their offerings.

Real Name
    Dave

Actually, Manfred, the Nik products can be used standalone (though I've never done it). I believe the usual technique is to set up an icon on the desktop, and drop an image file onto it.

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Actually, Manfred, the Nik products can be used standalone (though I've never done it).
    Yes indeed. And I did do it. It's a bit clumsy, but it does work. But I wanted to be able to use it as a Smart Filter, meaning I had to buy Elements to use as a mule to carry the NIK packages. Setting it as a Smart Filter means you can go back into the NIK software at a later date a re-edit the image; i.e. adjust the settings you had previously made on the image.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Donald,

I had always assumed that when you did that, you lost the Control Points. Are they actually preserved?

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Actually, Manfred, the Nik products can be used standalone (though I've never done it). I believe the usual technique is to set up an icon on the desktop, and drop an image file onto it.

Dave

On installation, this was not an option that I had, nor one I have heard of. However, it did show up in my filters section in Photoshop.

Perhaps this happens if there if it does not detect PS or LR on the machine?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Hi Donald,

I had always assumed that when you did that, you lost the Control Points. Are they actually preserved?

Dave
    Yes they are.

If you use it as a stand alone, when the changes are made and saved and you cannot re-access the Control Points to further adjust them. They are gone. However used as a Smart Filter, the Control Points remain accessible. So at any time in the future you can go back in and choose 'Edit' in, for example, Silver Efex Pro and all your control points will be visible and available for further adjustment, deletion, etc.
    Last edited by Donald; 26th August 2016 at 09:10 AM.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Nik is not a stand-alone editing tool, but is a set of filters that can be used with Photoshop or Lightroom. Much of what OnOne offers falls into the same category, although I understand they now have a fairly basic editor as part of their offerings.
    Last edited by russellsnr; 26th August 2016 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Removed comment as already pointed out that stand alone is possibe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast