Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camera straps

Real Name
    Calvin

camera straps

I have a canon 7d.
    It's much easier and more fun to take pictures without any neck or other safety straps.
    But of course there is always the possibility of dropping camera. What do you advise?
    Calvin

Real Name
    Jim

Re: camera straps

Hi Calvin,
    This is what I use http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-4/
    Very comfortable strap.

Real Name
    Calvin

Thank you Jim B.
    Calvin

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by czerwick View Post
    I have a canon 7d.
    It's much easier and more fun to take pictures without any neck or other safety straps.
    But of course there is always the possibility of dropping camera. What do you advise?
    Calvin
    Hi Calvin,

The standard neck strap drives me nuts too (always covering the viewfinder when shooting verticals) - so I just got rid of it. All I use these days is a simple hand strap so that the camera can hang from my arm when I'm walking around.

Real Name
    Calvin

Thanks Colin,
    Great idea.
    Calvin

Real Name
    Calvin

Colin, there is so many different hand and wrist straps on amazon.com, I wonder which one you recommend?
    Calvin

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by czerwick View Post
    Colin, there is so many different hand and wrist straps on amazon.com, I wonder which one you recommend?
    Calvin
    Hi Calvin,

I just use the Canon brand one. Not sure if they have different models for different SLR cameras though.

Real Name
    Pops

Some of you won't like this method, but I find the use of binocular harnesses to work the best for me. My favorite is the Bushnell camera harness.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ess_Strap.html

http://www.shopbushnell.com/product_...?T1=BSN+19125C

Pops

Real Name
    Calvin

Thanks Pops and Colin.
    Much obliged for all the help.
    Calvin

Real Name
    Richard

I like using a neoprene strap (Optech or Tamrac) because the play of the strap seems to make it easier to carry a heavy camera. The Tamrac Boomerang is one of my favorite straps and I use an OPTECH Dual harness for carrying a pair of cameras.

Hi Guys: I shoot in the bush all the time. A camera case, a walking stick or staff and a snow trail, plus my dog, a back pack, heavy clothing and a limp make a neck strap and a telephoto lens and camera a pain in the butt as well as the neck. I'm looking at a torso pack by Kata, sort of a side draw holster with lens attached if worn in the front @ $135 plus tax CDN. I also looked online at the cotton carrier which looks really interesting @ $139 USD, plus all the Cdn customs crap. OPtech also has one @$19.95 USD which I'm not certain is as verstile. Any comments?

Don't tell me to have the dog carry the stuff; he already carries lunch and assorted liquids in his saddle bag kit which cost $150 USD on the internet.
    Last edited by Philjam10; 22nd February 2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Add comment

Real Name
    Jim

Just ordered on of these today http://www.spiderholster.com/
    I looked at the Cotton Carrier system also,but feel this will fit my needs better.

I looked, and why is it better than the cotton carrier? If you don't have it yet let me know. Thanks.

Real Name
    Jim

I meant better for MY uses.I do some hiking,but mostly open fields and short trips maybe a total of 5 miles out and back.I don't have to carry a lot of gear.I usually go out with a monopod,camera and a couple lenses and water.The Cotton Carrier would probably be a better fit for you.
    The Spider Holster will be here next week.I'll get back to you with my impressions.

Hi Jim: I'm not going to do anything until I hear from you. Thanks.

Real Name
    John H. Maw

Hi. I have looked at both the Spider Holster and the CC system. The CC system works with L brackets and Arca plates, but it didn't look as if the Spider would be compatible. Do you know if this is the case?

John

Real Name
    Jim

The video for the Spider shows it being used with a QR plate(not sure what company)I use Kirk camera plates and will let you know if they work with the Spider.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    The video for the Spider shows it being used with a QR plate(not sure what company)I use Kirk camera plates and will let you know if they work with the Spider.
    One thing I noticed with these from watching the videos is that when usig with a QRP or straight on to a tripod, the holes they provide are no longer on the lens centre line; dunno if that matters to anyone for panos, etc. - it's obviously not an issue for normal single shot and HDR use though. For panos, you just have to take it off - so it is useful that the tool stows within the plate (I believe) at least you should have it with you and know where to find it.

Anither thing I was concerned about was obstructing the battery door, but they show a smaller DSLR and the base plate looks very like a D3000/D5000/D90? - and no obstruction

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 25th February 2010 at 07:41 AM.

Real Name
    John H. Maw

Hi. Looking forward to the info. about the quick release plates. It could be a deal-breaker for some.

Incidentally, if anyone is reading this and is considering something called the Trekking Safari Camera Strap, made in France I believe and available from Canon Magazine in the UK and NatureScapes.net in the US among others. I got one on eBay. I have used it a couple of times, each time for two to three hours (shorter than my normal day outing, but long enough to show major problems). I can sum it up by saying that there was nothing disastrously wrong with it, but I am still looking for something better. I suspect that it will end up in the "drawer of useful kit that doesn't get used".
    Last edited by JohnMaw; 25th February 2010 at 07:54 AM.

Real Name
    Jim

The Spider Holster arrived today.It's raining here so set it up using my 50D with a 100-400 and wore it around the house for an hour.Very comfortable.For me it's a winner.Works as described on the Spider website.
    Here's a couple shots of it with my Wimberley camera plate attached.
    camera straps

camera straps
    Slightly off center,but will work fine for me.I'll post an update when I can get out and really put it through the paces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast