Thread: Choosing DSLR for New User

Choosing DSLR for New User

Hi,

I want to buy a DSLR. I am a beginner for DSLR.
    Please recommend a DSLR camera. Which brand should I go for? Nikon or Canon?
    Please specify Models. My budget is around 50,000/-(INR) it is equivalent to $1,000 (US).

Regards,
    Saikat
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 20th March 2010 at 08:23 PM.

Re: Choosing DSLR for New User

Quote Originally Posted by Saikat Bala View Post
    Hi,

I want to buy a DSLR. I am a beginner for DSLR.
    Please recommend a DSLR camera. Which brand should I go for? Nikon or Canon?
    Please specify Models. My budge is around 50,000/-(INR) it is equivalent to $1,000 (US).

Regards,
    Saikat
    1. What will you mostly be shooting?
    2. Are you willing to buy second-hand?
    3. What lens range do you want (depends on question 1)

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Rob,

When I was in the same position,(buy my first DSLR) it was really very difficult to say "What I would be shooting the most?" (well, as a matter of fact, it still is.) It takes sometime to make out what kinda photography one wants to get confined to. There is a time I find a little toy at my place as an interesting subject and the other moment a bird flying high is a subject of interest. I love taking night shots too.
    Now having bought the DSLR, I feel its the thorough knowledge about the DSLR's functionality and the lenses and their types one can answer the question himself. I am happy with the camera I bought but just wish I had more focal length to it. Secondly, second hand cameras are not easily available in India. They would be availabe, but one would not have a choice or variety.

I mostly want to shoot landscape and nature.
    I do prefer firsthand DSLR.
    At present I need a zoom lens.

Now pls narrow my choice.

Thanks.
    Saikat

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

How about a Nikon D3000 with an 18-200mm Lens? It will just fit in the budget. And try getting it from Thailand or US/Canada. You can save a good amount.

Real Name
    John

If you are an beginner chances are you going to start out photographing the family, vacation photos, and then experimentation. Photographing the family can be candid or posed-special event (varied lighting), vacation photos can run the gamut from candid to landscape so even a beginner might need a long or macro lens, low-light capability, and different shutter speeds. If Saikat has a particular interest we might be able to narrow down the choices. Even then, the choice is up to the user.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Rob,

When I was in the same position,(buy my first DSLR) it was really very difficult to say "What I would be shooting the most?" (well, as a matter of fact, it still is.) It takes sometime to make out what kinda photography one wants to get confined to. There is a time I find a little toy at my place as an interesting subject and the other moment a bird flying high is a subject of interest. I love taking night shots too.
    Now having bought the DSLR, I feel its the thorough knowledge about the DSLR's functionality and the lenses and their types one can answer the question himself. I am happy with the camera I bought but just wish I had more focal length to it. Secondly, second hand cameras are not easily available in India. They would be availabe, but one would not have a choice or variety.

If you do use a kit lens (eg. 18-200) indoors, I would strongly recommend a flash if your budget allows. The short burst of light from the flash will really reduce motion blur or blurry photos.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing fire View Post
    If you do use a kit lens (eg. 18-200) indoors, I would strongly recommend a flash if your budget allows. The short burst of light from the flash will really reduce motion blur or blurry photos.
    This is true, and just case you are wondering why not use the one on the camera;
    1) With that lens, in fact with any kit lens, at 18mm, especially with a lens hood fitted, you will get a significant shadow at bottom centre of frame (but please do get IN to the habit of always using the lens hood)
    2) It is fairly weak
    3) It gives an unflattering "top-front" illumination
    4) Because of 3) above, it will give "red eye" in humans looking at camera and (usually green) "pet-eye" with animals

A proper flash that can be mounted on a side bracket off camera, or used on camera, but bounced and/or diffused, will give much better results.

Cheers,