Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bath Time!

Bath Time!

Bath Time!

I like the lighting in this one.

Re: Bath Time!

This image does not seem to appear quite as clear as on my Flickr page???

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    This image does not seem to appear quite as clear as on my Flickr page???
    Hi Keith,

Do you mean when the post first appears?
    Or, after making the browser full screen - typically with f11 key, when clicking it and having it come up in a "lightbox"?

Could I have a link to the picture on Flickr for comparison?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Keith,

Do you mean when the post first appears?
    Or, after making the browser full screen - typically with f11 key, when clicking it and having it come up in a "lightbox"?

Could I have a link to the picture on Flickr for comparison?

Thanks,
    Hi Dave, if I increase the page size to 150% it appears fine.

The link is:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2804/...252f29f9_b.jpg but using that it appears just the same.
    If you go to Flickr and look for Keith1616, you will find my photostream and a full size image.

Keith

Real Name

Hi Dave, if I increase the page size to 150% it appears fine.

The link is:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2804/...252f29f9_b.jpg but using that it appears just the same.
    Hi Keith,

Just to be sure we're not mis-understanding each other, I'm going to state what may be obvious, as there are many, many things that can affect this.

If I click the link you gave above, it opens the picture sized to fit the area of screen between the tabs and the status bar - in other words, all the stuff my browser pust above and below the web viewing window. This initial view is without scroll bar(s). If I move the mouse over the image, I get a "+" maginifying glass, if I click, the image jumps to 100%, but is now too big to fit, so scroll bar(s) appear. When I do this, it becomes identical quality to what I see when I go to your Flickr stream and click for the Large (1024 x 732) size. It is just the Flickr page forces the scroll bars from opening.

Now; if I view the first post in this thread, and I use the f11 key on my browser to get rid of all the extraneous stuff and enlarge the web viewing window, then click the image, a Lightbox opens which displays the picture at full size, the same 1024 x 732 and it looks fine to there also.

I am fairly surprised that you find using the browser's page zoom feature at 150% gives acceptable results - it may make it the same size on screen, but it usually does this in a bad way that further degrades image quality.

I am using Firefox 3.5.7 and a 1280 x 800 screen resolution, what are you using for browser and screen?

Currently the images in posts don't show what size they are (but I know Sean is working on this), so it's difficult to know whether clicking will improve matters or not, and even then, it is (by far) best done with the browser in full screen (f11) mode, particularly if you have a fairly low res screen like me.

Cheers for now,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Keith,

Just to be sure we're not mis-understanding each other, I'm going to state what may be obvious, as there are many, many things that can affect this.

If I click the link you gave above, it opens the picture sized to fit the area of screen between the tabs and the status bar - in other words, all the stuff my browser pust above and below the web viewing window. This initial view is without scroll bar(s). If I move the mouse over the image, I get a "+" maginifying glass, if I click, the image jumps to 100%, but is now too big to fit, so scroll bar(s) appear. When I do this, it becomes identical quality to what I see when I go to your Flickr stream and click for the Large (1024 x 732) size. It is just the Flickr page forces the scroll bars from opening.

Now; if I view the first post in this thread, and I use the f11 key on my browser to get rid of all the extraneous stuff and enlarge the web viewing window, then click the image, a Lightbox opens which displays the picture at full size, the same 1024 x 732 and it looks fine to there also.

I am fairly surprised that you find using the browser's page zoom feature at 150% gives acceptable results - it may make it the same size on screen, but it usually does this in a bad way that further degrades image quality.

I am using Firefox 3.5.7 and a 1280 x 800 screen resolution, what are you using for browser and screen?

Currently the images in posts don't show what size they are (but I know Sean is working on this), so it's difficult to know whether clicking will improve matters or not, and even then, it is (by far) best done with the browser in full screen (f11) mode, particularly if you have a fairly low res screen like me.

Cheers for now,
    Hi Dave, not being one tiny bit 'technically minded', you lost me about 2/3rds the way down, lol.
    I guess its just the way it appears to me that is the problem, I will get used to the changes eventually, you know what us old people are like. )

Real Name

~ you lost me about 2/3rds the way down, lol. ~
    That's better than I usually manage, I'd call that a success, between us

In a nutshell: given the right viewing conditions, I think it is OK here at CiC too.

One problem (I see) is; the new method of showing pictures in a lightbox makes it very difficult to ascertain the cause of any issues like this because there are so many inter-dependencies that can make your viewing experience vastly different to mine and it is darn-near impossible to tie things down in a repeatable way.

Well; anything specific, just ask - and I'll see if I can improve on 2/3s next time

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 31st January 2010 at 10:12 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I like the lighting in this one.
    And so you should.

Have noted the subsequent discussion, bit since tonight was our monthly wine tasting at our, very informal, wine club, I'm in no fit state to make a useful contribution. I do, however, like these images in which light plays with water.
    Last edited by Donald; 31st January 2010 at 10:51 PM.