Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon Hand/Wrist Strap

Real Name
    Ali

Canon Hand/Wrist Strap

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of buying a hand/wrist Strap for my Canon 5D MKII. With the lens and flash, the camera is very heavy and I have started feeling the strain on my wrist! Any ideas on this? Anyone using it? Like it? Feel any difference? Where to buy it?

Thanks!

Real Name
    Pops

Re: Canon Hand/Wrist Strap

I use harnesses on almost all of my heavier cameras. I've found that the binocular harnesses you find in the sporting goods section work quite well. I just got one of the Bushnell heavy-duty harnesses and I really like it. B&H had them on for a very reasonable price. The other cameras have the standard binocular harnesses, which don't have the large back panel. They are good, also.

I like the harnesses because they keep the camera snug against my chest so they don't swing around and bounce against me as I'm scrambling about in the rocks and brush.

My Chinon and my Konica have the hand straps, but I use them so seldom I can't give an honest opinion on that style.

Pops

Real Name
    Chris

Alis,
    I don't have a formal wrist strap but take a couple of turns of the shoulder strap around my right wrist and usually carry the camera (5D) that way. Interested to hear what you decide to do.
    Chris

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of buying a hand/wrist Strap for my Canon 5D MKII. With the lens and flash, the camera is very heavy and I have started feeling the strain on my wrist! Any ideas on this? Anyone using it? Like it? Feel any difference? Where to buy it?

Thanks!
    Hi Ali,

It's all I use on mine (the neck strap always got in the way when shooting vertical, so I took it off). Personally I just stick my hand through the strap - curl my fingers around the side of the body - and just let it hang there; seems to work just fine for me (even on a 1Ds3 with 70-200/F2.8L & 580EX II) (and UV filter, and dual memory cards!). Got mine through a retail store, from Canon.

Real Name
    Ali

Thanks guys, for the comments. Looks like it is worth trying it. It is not that expensive. Although since I carry around the camera a lot, I am still use the neck strap.

Real Name

Hi Ali,

For what it's worth, I found the neck strap "OK" for shorter lenses, but with a longer lens the balance just couldn't have been worse.

Something else that might be of interest to you ...

http://www.spiderholster.com/

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
    Wow! How do they come up with those gears?

I just wanted to make sure we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about the strap that goes from the top where the neck strap attaches to the battery grip and has a wide leather part that will be around the back of the hand. I mean I am not talking about the strap that the smaller point and shoot cameras have and goes around the writs. Right?

Real Name

Hmmm - I could have sworn that I'd already replied to this - Grrr (finger trouble again)!

Hi Ali, in short, yes - you have the right description.

Real Name
    Ali

Thanks! Was just trying to make sure. The reason was that it seems like I can not find any of those online but the other straps are everywhere but the one I am looking for is nowhere to be found. I am planning to pay a visit to the local photography shop soon instead of looking for it online.