Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 70-200 2.8 L IS with no tripod

70-200 2.8 L IS with no tripod

hi, can I use the Canon 50D with a 70-200 2.8 L IS without a tripod, walk around mounting it with no problems?
    I mean isn't it too heavy for the camera or will it harm the camera?
    I never tried holding heavy lenses before.
    another question .. is there much difference between the IS version of it and the non IS? will IS be needed a lot?
    Last edited by smarty; 1st February 2010 at 06:25 AM. Reason: simple mistake

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: 70-200 2.8 L IS with no tripod

OK I'm not a Canon man but ...

If you have any heavy lens on a camera, always pick up and carry the pair by the heaviest part, so if lens is heavier, hold/carry that and let the camera "hitch a ride" on the back. As you say, trying to cantelever a heavy lens off the mount by holding the camera body alone is asking for trouble and I would not be surprised if damaged resulted. Since you will have a hand around it to zoom anyway, I've never found it a problem (with my Nikon 18-200 f3.5-5.6)

I wouldn't be without IS. Moreso if you want to avoid tripod use (as I do).

Cheers,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Dave & "smarty",

Just to add a bit ...

On a 1D series at least, you CAN mount the camera on the tripod when using the 70-200/2.8L, but as you mention, there's a LOT less moment if you secure the combination via the lens - so via the lens is definately the far better option.

With regards to IS - since it can buy you up to 3 stops (4 with the forthcoming 70-200 F2.8L IS USM II version), it's pure unadulterated madness not to have it it can be the difference between being able to get away with a shot at 1/25th (1/12th for vII) - whereas before you would have needed 1/200th. potentially a HUGH difference.

thanks, but I meant walking with it. without having to hold the lens.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't do it with an EF70-200mm F2.8L (IS) USM on a 50D - the length of the lens generates a considerable moment that will try to torque the lens mount from the 50D chassis. It may or may not succeed in damaging the camera, but it's a big risk to take.

I do it with my 1Ds3 (but then again, it's built like a tank) ... but if I'm holding it for a considerable time (and/or my hand is getting sore) I just rest it across my left arm (a bit like you'd hold a baby, but I can't say that 'cause I'm supposed to be a big/tough guy!).

Hope this helps

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    Hi Smarty,

I think my original answer stands

If you have any heavy lens on a camera, always pick up and carry the pair by the heaviest part, so if lens is heavier, hold/carry that and let the camera "hitch a ride" on the back.
    The only way to carry by the body in reasonable safety would be with lens pointing straight up (I'm not serious) or straight down, so there is no shearing/bending leverage on the mount, which, as Colin says, would be undesirable.

Of course, that most likely wouldn't be a comfortable method to carry either

I can see your POV though, even my 18-200 barrel is a bit fat to get a hand around comfortably and that's just an f3.5-5.6.
    Never-the-less, when not in shooting mode, that is generally how I carry it; vertically, with the pentaprism acting as a stop against my index finger (thus putting some load on the mount). I swap hands when it becomes a pain, and/or share weight with neck strap.

Given I don't know the length, weight or size of your specific lens/camera body combination, I'll bale out of the discussion at this point.

Cheers,

If you're serious about wanting to carry the 70-200 2.8 L IS around with you, I recommend two methods:

1. The BlackRapid camera strap. You secure the camera by way of the lens' tripod collar mount. It's a lot more comfortable for you to carry it slung across your shoulder than around your neck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Q1IxI_Opw

2. The other option is using a smaller shoulder camera bag that can accommodate the setup like from Tamrac's Velocity, Thinktank, and Lowepro. It's also nice to have when you want to put the camera down someplace.

Real Name
    Pops

I use harnesses, rather than a shoulder strap or hand strap on most of my cameras. When I have the big 400 mounted, I run a ring around the lens to the harness, taking the weight off the camera mount. Nikon specifically states that a couple of my cameras are not compatible with this lens because of the torque it puts on the mount. Putting the carrying point on the lens alleviates this problem.

Pops

thanks a lot all .. this really helped

Real Name
    Richard

I have seen cradles for long lenses on eBay. The cradle screws into the tripod socket of the lens tripod ring and allows a strap to be attached. The unit works woth a neck strap which attaches to the camera at the standard strap attachment points and also has straps which attach to the lens cradle.

This rig allows the camera to be carried with a large and heavy lens attached without any force exerted on the strap attachment points or the lens mount.

I have not seen one recently, but they are out there in camera-land somewhere.

I didn't need one since I opted for the smaller and considerably lighter in weight 70-200mm f/4L IS lens.