Thread: Angled viewfinder.

Angled viewfinder.

As I intend to try a bit more macro photography in the coming year I have been considering an Angled Viewfinder.
    After looking at prices I have so far decided that the Hoodman model seems to satisfy most photographers and its probably somewhere close to what I am prepared to spend.
    Does anyone have experience using one of these? Are they a really useful aid in certain situations to an old fogie like me who suffers back and knee problems?
    Are they easy to get used too?
    Also, if anyone uses this particular model with a Nikon D90, does it fit on the viewfinder perfectly?

Keith

Re: Angled viewfinder.

They do work Keith, but with macro work outdoors; getting up and down is par for the course. Nikon does makes their own that's fit their viewfinders well, but if you want to take advantage of the "live view" feature; recommend Seculine's line of digital angle viewfinders. It's may be more than what you're willing to spend but the option is there.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rToReadReviews

Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    They do work Keith, but with macro work outdoors; getting up and down is par for the course. Nikon does makes their own that's fit their viewfinders well, but if you want to take advantage of the "live view" feature; recommend Seculine's line of digital angle viewfinders. It's may be more than what you're willing to spend but the option is there.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rToReadReviews
    Thanks for that, I have just found a stockist in the UK, I don't know that I could afford to spend that much to be honest, although it is impressive, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Thanks for that, I have just found a stockist in the UK, I don't know that I could afford to spend that much to be honest, although it is impressive, thanks again.
    It's just a suggestion, Keith. But the angle viewfinder would definitely be helpful on your neck and back.

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Keith,
    I have used a Hoodman on a Canon DSLR.The one for Nikon should fit fine.I have same problem(bad knees).I just put together a new rig for macro to help with the problem.Angled viewfinder.
    The lateral arm was $80 and you would need a ballhead.I realize it's not in your budget,but maybe something to look at in the future.
    Angled viewfinder.
    Regards,
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim B.; 28th January 2010 at 07:38 PM.

Hi Jim, I already have a Giottos MTL8361B tripod with adjustable column with ballhead, I am thinking more out in the field for insects type macro, therefore more handheld stuff where I need to get down and dirty

A bit like this type of macro below.

Angled viewfinder.
    Last edited by Keith; 28th January 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Keith,
    I was curious to see if there was another alternative to the RA viewfinder.Did a search and found this.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Black_.html

Real Name
    Bob Latham

Keith,

Another option (more expensive but you may find other uses to justify the extra) is a ZigView electronic viewfinder. They are small CCTV cameras that attach to the viewfindfinder eyepice and send the image to a small LCD screen...either remote or close coupled at a suitable angle. I have the S2 version and it works well enough to confirm focus and composition.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    Hi Keith,
    I was curious to see if there was another alternative to the RA viewfinder.Did a search and found this.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Black_.html
    Thanks Jim, It may be an idea for me to try, the only downside is speed of focus through the live view for more active subjects, but definately worth a thought.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Canon Bob View Post
    Keith,

Another option (more expensive but you may find other uses to justify the extra) is a ZigView electronic viewfinder. They are small CCTV cameras that attach to the viewfindfinder eyepice and send the image to a small LCD screen...either remote or close coupled at a suitable angle. I have the S2 version and it works well enough to confirm focus and composition.

Bob
    Hi Bob, the link Amberglass gave me took me to that item, but at £250 in the UK, it is at the moment too much of an expense.
    It looks really impressive, does it work as well as the info claims?
    I might talk nicely to she who must be obeyed when my B/day comes round,lol.

Keith