Thread: New to photography - where to start?

New to photography - where to start?

Hi Everybody,

This Is My First Post & I Hope To Get A Good help Here.

I Have Got Sony Alpha 200 & I have red Many Articles And Books Related To The Photography World ! But Do Not Know From Where To Start Shooting ?

Do I have To Go On More Reading ?

Or Practicing ?

Actually, I am Just A Beginner

Thanks In Advanced For You Kind Help.

Regards,

ElJllasi

Re: Where To Start ?

It's been my experience that I learn (and retain) a lot more by doing rather than just reading. Therefore, I would recommend that as you are reading, you experiment with the different concepts and techniques. This way you will learn more about how to apply these as you develop your style.

I also think it helps to just spend a day out shooting anything and everything. Experiment a lot and maybe write down what you did for each shot. Later when you review them you can decide what you like or what you think you could do to improve certain shots.

Finally, I think the best analogy is a musical instrument... someone can tell you how to play it, but you won't get any better if you don't practice.

Britt

Sure My Friend,

I Agree With You Totally.

Many Thanks Cadebou.

I Will Try To Submit The First Capture Of My Sony Soon

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hello ElJllasi,

Welcome

Best way to learn is to read or see something - try it for yourself - look at the results - make any changes (with help from others) - and then do it a little better next time. Repeat.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ElJllasi View Post
    Hi Everybody,

This Is My First Post & I Hope To Get A Good help Here.

I Have Got Sony Alpha 200 & I have red Many Articles And Books Related To The Photography World ! But Do Not Know From Where To Start Shooting ?

Do I have To Go On More Reading ?

Or Practicing ?

Actually, I am Just A Beginner

Thanks In Advanced For You Kind Help.

Regards,

ElJllasi
    It is okay to just jump in and start shooting, however after few failed attempts, lost shots, and bewilderment on why the photos aren't turning out the way you want will eventually totally frustrate you and cause you to put the camera on the shelf or eventually convince you to at least read the manual and learn the functions of the camera.

Don't forget that even the pros take numerous shots just to find a few that they consider a success. So don't get frustrated when every image isn't exactly the way you had envisioned it. It's a learning process that never ends.

Britt

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Good photography is a journey, not a destination

I would start with a fast prime (something within the 24-50 mm range with aperture of f1.8 or f1.4), read and review your camera's operations manual, and pick up a copy of Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera. Peterson's book has great basic and fundamental assignments that will get you on your way. It's a book that I recommend to many beginners of all ages to achieve great results. But keep in mind that photography is a 3 part process; 1. the image starts and ends with you. 2. Post processing in photo editing software (like CS#, elements, gimp, etc) is par for the course. PP on the computer is today's modern version of film darkroom. Hence why Adobe called one of their apps "Lightroom". 3. Printing (if you so desire to do so, but it is the whole point of photography).