Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Seascapes: The Heads at Knysna, South Africa

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Seascapes: The Heads at Knysna, South Africa

The entrance to the harbor at Knysna, South Africa is called the Heads. The rock formations are so large, the water is so tumultuous and the opening is so narrow that the danger posed to ships has always prevented the harbor from becoming a major port. Indeed, thanks to a rogue wave at the Heads, my Nikon D7000 is currently undergoing a USD $400 repair.

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Seascapes: The Heads at Knysna, South Africa

Beautiful images, as always... Adore the compositions and wonderful detail. I think the 1st image is my favourite for the opposite light and dark, but it could be any of them.

Sorry to hear about the rogue wave and your camera repairs. I lost a point and shoot camera to a rogue wave in Hawaii... They certainly come out of nowhere.

Real Name
    Shane

Mike, you had what looks like some challenging mid-day lighting to contend with as well as those rogue waves in order to capture these shots! You obviously fared better with your lighting challenge than with that darned, dare I say expensive, wave

I too like the first image best but it has more to do with the overall depth achieved by having the bluff in the background which also adds to the feeling of to the harsh environment. You have also captured the lighting on the cliffs beautifully while still retaining enough contrast to show the rugged rocks at their best.

Your second shot is also nice but I think it loses some pop with the cone shaped island in the rear left. Your processing of the waves is superb in all three.

I hope your camera comes back better than new

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    ... thanks to a rogue wave at the Heads, my Nikon D7000 is currently undergoing a USD $400 repair.
    Aah! Not so good. Sorry to hear that Mike. I still break out in sweat when I think back a few weeks to slipping as a salmon leapt out of the water and landed between my legs. I saw me and the gear heading into white, wild water. Luckily, I stayed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I love how you've chosen to present this in a panoramic aspect ratio. It suits the subject matter beautifully and makes for attention-grabbing image.

Real Name
    John

Three well perceived images but no. 1 for me as well Mike. Sorry to hear about the gear. My D7100 is described as waterproof but your tale of woe made wonder just what that meant. I don't intend to put it to the test.

Thank you, everyone!

Shane: You mentioned the challenges of midday light. These photos were taken in mid-afternoon and the light could have been worse. One of the reasons to go to South Africa this time of the year is that the sun never gets really high in the sky. (I've never been smart enough to figure that sort of thing out and gave up trying long ago.)

However, another challenge of visiting the country is that it's advised not to drive at night, especially we tourists who aren't familiar with the roads and other situations. That makes it difficult to be anywhere at sunrise or sunset.

Your critique of the cone-shaped island in Photo #2 is spot on. I would add the same critique of the strip of rocks that touch the horizon. I much prefer land formations to be well under or well above the horizon.

Donald: The vacation was our most expensive ever, so we toss the cost of the camera repair to just another expense of the trip. Glad you like the aspect ratio of the last photo. If you had seen everything that was above and below the subject, anybody would have made the same decision before releasing the shutter that the crop simply had to be made.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 3rd November 2013 at 01:07 PM.

Real Name
    Joe

Hello Mike, nicely done... I like them, they capture the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    My D7100 is described as waterproof
    Not by Nikon. From its website: "The body is also durable as it employs magnesium alloy for the top and rear covers. With effective sealing applied on various parts of the body, it secures weather and dust resistance,..." Note that only the top and rear panels are protected. (The same is true of my D7000.) Note also that Nikon mentions weather resistance, not water proofing and not weather proofing.

The rogue wave that struck me had the same effect as if I had quickly dipped the rear of my camera into a tub of saltwater. The camera body is not designed to withstand that. In fact, the Nikon-authorized shop that is repairing my camera told me that Nikon will not make repairs of this nature because they feel they cannot guarantee them.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 3rd November 2013 at 12:48 PM.