Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Macro insect fun

Real Name
    Claudio

Macro insect fun

Hey all..just wanted to get opinion on what you think on the editing in these images.. i added a sort of watery(smokey) texture to the stinkbug.....was thinking maybe i should put some bubbles in there? can anyone comment? even if ya dont like it..lemme know..and the second i went just for the basic..i purposefully over sharpened the spider..and purposefully went that black trying to just get that one web line.

Macro insect fun

Macro insect fun

What im really trying to do is get my own take on my insects.. rather than taking images that seem it would be ok in a science or biology book..i'd prefer pple to take a second look. or am i just wasting my time? PLEASE BE BRUTALLY HONEST

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Macro insect fun

What im really trying to do is get my own take on my insects
    Can't argue with your goals...you're trying to cross that fuzzy line between photography and art and therein lies the rub. Bugs are inherently, rather ugly creatures...you're trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, a difficult task at best.

The cabbage bug is still ugly...spider has too much dead space.

Real Name
    Claudio

Thanks Chauncey...yeh it aint easy... i think the onyl way is to actually get the bug to be the impact on its own..That..also...is another difficult task

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Claudio my friend, you disappoint me...I thought everyone had heard of Pavlov's Conditioning.
    Ya just gotta train those little things to preform for the camera.

Possibly reduce the effect over the actual bug by a bit of masking to make it stand out more from the background; but gradually merging as though with a foggy scene? Maybe lose the foliage from the right side?

And your spider is facing the wrong way! Should be more space in front of it.

Some interesting ideas to work with in these photos though.

ps. As you are probably already aware, insects are even harder to train as models than cats!