Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Face Painting

Real Name
    Tim

Face Painting

This past weekend our church had a small little community festival. Part of that was a face painting booth. This young girl was gracious enough to let me take her photo. There are some things in the background that I think are people and slightly distracting. Perhaps I can crop it to make them less distracting, I don't know. C&C always welcome.

Face Painting

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Face Painting

A couple of thoughts spring to mind Tim.

1. Try shooting in portrait, rather than landscape format, that will give you more model and less background. A tight crop in post will eliminate much of the unwanted background.,; and

2. The eye tends to be drawn to light colours, like the white background, which means that tends to be a bit distracting to the viewer, trying to eliminate that is likely going to help the image.

3. You could also try adding a soft vignette in post (2nd picture) to tone down the white background.

My 10 second crop effort looks like this:

Face Painting

Face Painting

That being said, I like using white backgrounds, especially for female portraits, but those are against pure white backgrounds.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 7th October 2013 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Added vignette example