Thread: Foggy Morning along the Opeongo Rd

Real Name
    Allan Short

Foggy Morning along the Opeongo Rd

Another image taken in Algonquin Park along the Opeongo Rd., This was taken on Saturday September 27th, there was a heavy fog, now when I go there, there were about 5 photographers there already, so I went along the road to a spot that I liked because of the lay of the land. I got the shots, I wanted so I went back down the road, there must be at least 100 photographers lined up along the road overlooking the marsh, well it was peak time for the colours and everyone comes up here. It is about 7:15 am so I stop with the herd, I know by the fog that nothing is going to happen for another hour so I join up with a few others that I met up here and we talked. So the sun has stilled not burned through the fog and now it is 8:30 am, the herd starts to pack it up to shoot colours, there are ten of us left, now 8:45 the sun burns through the fog. The shot you see it the result, as a friend says just wait long enough and something will happen, oh one more thing a bull moose came out of the woods about 50ft for us, most had been waiting days for this. Did I get a shot of the moose, it came out of the woods, stopped in an open area, side view, turned to look at us, waited 30 seconds so all could get the shot, then walked back into the woods. I shoot landscape not critters, think this way, mirror up, manual focus, f/22, ISO 100, shutter 1/8th sec., need I go on, and yes I did I got a shot of it's butt as it disappeared back into the woods. Glade I got the sun breaking through the fog shot.

Cheers:

Allan

Foggy Morning along the Opeongo Rd
    Last edited by Polar01; 3rd October 2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: grammer

Re: Foggy Morning along the Opeongo Rd

I find that misty scenes can look like they are simply out of focus unless they have a good sharp 'reference point' usually in the foreground. Exactly as you have managed here.

This has worked well.

Real Name
    Christina

An exquisitely beautiful image.... I hope to take one just like this one day.

I also like it cropped just a wee bit at the top, alongside the line of the fog/mist.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Wow - waiting sure worked! Great shot Allan!

Looks a tad bright to me, but on the other hand, I wasn't there so I really wouldn't know what things looked like. I find the funny little clouds on the top left a bit distracting.

Real Name
    Shane

I agree with Manfred's comments about the brightness (in the foreground only for me) and the clouds but this really is a great shot Allan - nice job!

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

This is excellent. I am glad you waited so you could get this and share it. I don't feel it is too bright, the reflected light off the water and reeds seem right to me. The fog detail and only slightly visible trees in the upper portion give amazing depth to the image. All the elements work for me.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Allan, this is awesome

Real Name
    Susan

I agree - it's a beauty! Almost surreal.