Thread: help with beach dark shadows, and....

Real Name
    Nancy (surprised you!)

help with beach dark shadows, and....

Ordering PSE 11 today as my 1st pp product. This beach scene is a place I want to take photos of and have the chance to do some PP on them. Will be taking sunrises/sunsets.

The sun is rising directly off to the right in this photo. I used my Windows program to highlight, and pick up shadows.
    1-

Will this end up being an HDR, to account for dark grassess, but bright sky?

This is sunset, and my shadow is there, but could not get around that. Will that be something I would be able to get rid of with pp? I seem to find my shadow in a few when I am doing sunrise/sunset.

2-

3-

This is example of shadows at dawn/dusk
    4-

ANY comments on the photos themselves is appreciated also. I am getting used to the hues at dusk etc. Comments about filters in these types of photos is also helpful.
    I think the piggy bank is about to get robbed! ;0
    Nancy

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: help with beach dark shadows, and....

I like the first image; i liked the sky without any details there
    The angle of wooden bridge has come out better in the second one of the two
    Last image has some problem; yet the bird in flight captures my interest

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Nancy,

The first image seems soft to me. It's okay.

I adore images #2 and #3 for the composition, unique perspective, great DOF, wonderful detail and beautiful colours.

I am not crazy about the 4th image... The light, colours and composition just doesn't compare to #2 and #3.

For PP I would just keep the colours as beautifully as you photographed them as seen in 1,2 and 3.

Real Name
    Nancy (surprised you!)

Thank you Wavelength and Christina.
    Actually #4 is to show the shadows created at sunrise/set, I know it's a terrible shot !
    I wasn't sure if 2 & 3 were too boring, so thanks for your comments.
    Any one else?
    Nancy

Real Name
    Christina

Sorry for missing that about #4... #2 and #3 are definitely not boring, very creative composition. I'm still learning to process so sorry for not being able to help here.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Nancy.

You definitely do not need to use HDR on most sunrise and sunset shots. Sometimes the shadows or bright areas add to the image, and sometimes they do not. You can often make some adjustments using the highlights and shadows tools to reduce or increase the exposure in specific areas.

If you can, look at your histogram to see if there are any blown out white areas. However, sometimes a rising sun does blow out the area and it still looks good.

Regarding your own shadow appearing in the image, sometimes you can correct it using a cloning operation. Otherwise, try setting the camera to self trigger after so many seconds, then press the release and run like crazy.

Real Name
    Nancy (surprised you!)

[QUOTE=Ken Curtis -

If you can, look at your histogram to see if there are any blown out white areas. However, sometimes a rising sun does blow out the area and it still looks good.
    Ok, something else on the list to learn !
    And this suggestion is SOOO simple" why didn't I think of that, feels like a V-8 konk on the head moment!! Thanks :0
    Regarding your own shadow appearing in the image, sometimes you can correct it using a cloning operation. Otherwise, try setting the camera to self trigger after so many seconds, then press the release and run like crazy.[/QUOTE]

Real Name
    Nancy (surprised you!)

[QUOTE=Ken Curtis -

Regarding your own shadow appearing in the image, sometimes you can correct it using a cloning operation. Otherwise, try setting the camera to self trigger after so many seconds, then press the release and run like crazy.[/QUOTE]

Histogram is on the learning list too.
    And why didn't I think of that idea to get rid of my shadows!! I feel like a V-8, konk on the head moment :0
    Nancy