Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Oolitic Sand at White Rock Bay

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Oolitic Sand at White Rock Bay

Spent some time wandering around White Rock Bay @ Antelope Island, GSL, Utah, today. The water has receded a bunch, so what's left is pockets of water. This pocket of water was green, compared to the clear water around it. It seemed that the deeper the pockets were the more minerals trapped in it, that caused the water to turn colors.

Anyway, the color version just seemed to busy. And the black & white keeps the details but is more dramatic.

Or it could be the glass of wine talking to me...What do you guys think?

Oolitic Sand at White Rock Bay

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Oolitic Sand at White Rock Bay

I would have to see the color image to know if I like it but it would have to be very, very good to be better than this. You say it's too busy, so I'll take your word for it because I sure would hate to see anything distract from the shapes and texture in the monochrome version.

The foreground texture and shape is gorgeous and I like the way the cloud pattern somewhat mirrors the foreground pattern, if only in their out-of-this-world style. The dark hills in the background do a great job of separating the clouds from the foreground stuff.

In fact, I like this so much that I would really enjoy seeing it in a larger version.

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I would have to see the color image to know if I like it but it would have to be very, very good to be better than this. You say it's too busy, so I'll take your word for it because I sure would hate to see anything distract from the shapes and texture in the monochrome version.

The foreground texture and shape is gorgeous and I like the way the cloud pattern somewhat mirrors the foreground pattern, if only in it out-of-this-world style. The dark hills in the background do a great job of separating the clouds from the foreground stuff.

In fact, I like this so much that I would really enjoy seeing it in a larger version.
    A larger version can be seen at my website. Here's the link ---> Image Link

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Bingo! That is a good one.

I can understand what you say about a colour version. It would, if the colour was good enough, been very much an image about colour and not shape and texture.

Definitely not the wine. You called that one right.

Real Name
    John

Either way Mavourneen, it's a good composition and a very nice image.

Real Name
    J stands for John

I find it mosr disconcerting the way the dark rocks at the top look as if they are skew-wiff and you have not leveled the camera
    If you darken the thin triangle of sand[?] under and to the rocks left it corrects the illusion I see and more or less creates a level horizon across the picture.
    I think I have sobered up from my nightly glass of wine at this stage of the evening
    Otherwise a dramatic and interesting study.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I have had the pleasure of viewing this image for at least ten minutes and never during that time did I ever think that it appears tilted. Even now that it has been brought to my attention that it might be tilted, I still think it's perfectly straight.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 15th September 2013 at 01:43 PM.

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    I find it mosr disconcerting the way the dark rocks at the top look as if they are skew-wiff and you have not leveled the camera
    If you darken the thin triangle of sand[?] under and to the rocks left it corrects the illusion I see and more or less creates a level horizon across the picture.
    I think I have sobered up from my nightly glass of wine at this stage of the evening
    Otherwise a dramatic and interesting study.
    No, it's straight. My camera is level with the horizon below the mountains. If I had followed the tilt of the mountains then it would definitely look skew-wiff