Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Colour go with B+W

Real Name
    Steve

Does Colour go with B+W

This was taken a long time ago with a low quality lens but I had problems with white balance. Does this work?

Does Colour go with B+W

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Does Colour go with B+W

I like it a lot Arith. Not sure but I might want to make it into 2 seperate shots. My eyes seem to get pulled to the outsides where the colour is.

Wendy

Real Name
    John

It reminds me of the Gatorade ads.

Real Name
    Steve

That's what I thought; seemed a good idea at the time because I got some filters that emulate B+W film camera filters in this case magenta and a photo editing application that thinks the tiff result is in colour, so I can add any hue to the image. In this case yellow.

Real Name
    John

Arith,

I have a photograph of a fallen log that I shot in color and used my graphics program to slowly reduce the hue. I ended up with a photograph of a gray scaled log with a tinge of green. I liked the result.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    I like it a lot Arith. Not sure but I might want to make it into 2 seperate shots. My eyes seem to get pulled to the outsides where the colour is.

Wendy
    Does Colour go with B+W

How would you crop it

I've got another one but hoped I could get most of the podium in. cheers

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Arith,

I have a photograph of a fallen log that I shot in color and used my graphics program to slowly reduce the hue. I ended up with a photograph of a gray scaled log with a tinge of green. I liked the result.
    I would like to see that Shadowman; might give me some ideas.

Real Name
    Steve

The original 10MB jpeg image can be found here; it is a bit big

http://public.fotki.com/Arith/lichfi...-wpano-hf.html

Just download original if you really want to but I always save at 100% jpeg.

Real Name
    Wendy

How would you crop it
    About where you did, and then another copy with the pulpit and steps but with the other window.

I don't like it though, now that I see it. I was just throwing ideas around. I like the full photo much better, but I still have trouble with the colours being to the sides. That's just me though. I'm strange that way.

I'm wondering though, I don't know how you do the colour thing, it's way over my head, but would it be possible to have the pulpit and stairs in colour also. Then it would be more balanced. (to me)

Like I said, just throwing ideas around. I really like this one Arith, and I've always loved the B&W/colour effect. If it stays as is, it will be just fine. Don't mind me, I do the same with my own shots - go off on tangents and then come back to what I started with, because non of my hairbrained ideas really looked right in practice.

Best Wishes for the New Year.
    Wendy

Real Name
    Bill

Overall, I would say color DOES go with B & W. But only certain photos.

I love what you have done there, I like doing this trick myself

Real Name
    John

Arith,

Here are the photos.

fallen-log-original.jpg

fallen-log-black-white.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 2nd January 2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: add images inline

I believe colour + B&W does help in subject isolation and catching one's attention.

I have one comment about the original photo. It appears to me that the photo is slightly underexposed but perhaps that is to retain the highlight detail. The gray walls and dark hallway somehow gives it a menacing and eriee atmosphere to the photo in my opinion. The stairs and boxes (at the bottom left) are somehow distracting to me.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Arith,

Here are the photos.
    It is a definite improvement; I like it

Real Name
    Steve

Your ideas are right Wendy; without which I would be very lazy. You see I really don't mind the odd bit of litter for instance, and now I think 'how would Wendy do it'; and clone out the litter.

Have a prosperous New Year. cheers

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing fire View Post
    I believe colour + B&W does help in subject isolation and catching one's attention.

I have one comment about the original photo. It appears to me that the photo is slightly underexposed but perhaps that is to retain the highlight detail. The gray walls and dark hallway somehow gives it a menacing and eriee atmosphere to the photo in my opinion. The stairs and boxes (at the bottom left) are somehow distracting to me.
    Cheers; it was my first visit to the Cathedral and I did find it a bit menacing and dark; my tripod is right next to a star in the floor which sort of like out of the film the 'DaVinci Code'.

Real Name
    Steve

Last edited by arith; 2nd January 2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Add link

Real Name
    Pete

WHen I looked at the first photo my eyes were hijacked and driven straight into the pillars in the middle of the photo as I struggled with the decision as to which coloured windows to look at first (which probalby says something about me)...But it was kinda cool. I may not want to develop a style around forcing that kind of conflict, but every now and then it is refreshing and different.

Kinda has the same affect on me as this one:

http://arith.fotki.com/best-to-date/...yriver-hf.html

Which I like a lot!

And what is it about those anachranistic barriers lower left! Don't these people know that other people take photos of things like this and that they should be kept well out of the way!!!

Thanks.
    Last edited by Hans; 2nd January 2010 at 01:12 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Hans; but the conflict in this case is accidental. I have got a stitching program that works only on jpeg and so I do as much as I can in Tiff first; like sharpening and colour before in this case going to Gimp to put the windows in the separate images. I did not have a clue what it was going to look like until it was stitched but then I try to get as close to 16:9 ratio as I can when cropping.

I'm pleased you like my river walk photo

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    WHen I looked at the first photo my eyes were hijacked and driven straight into the pillars in the middle of the photo as I struggled with the decision as to which coloured windows to look at first (which probalby says something about me)...But it was kinda cool. I may not want to develop a style around forcing that kind of conflict, but every now and then it is refreshing and different.

Kinda has the same affect on me as this one:

http://arith.fotki.com/best-to-date/...yriver-hf.html

Which I like a lot!
    I know what you mean. Looking at the photo feels like having to choose which path to go on a complicated highway.

Real Name
    Wendy

You see I really don't mind the odd bit of litter for instance, and now I think 'how would Wendy do it'; and clone out the litter.
    Hi Arith:
    In this case the "litter" if you are refering to the boxes and stand at the bottom are unavoidable, and I don't think you can clone or crop them. My comments did not refer to croping because of distracting elements, although as you've noticed unwanted little bits are a pet peeve of mine.

I love this photo, it's a beautiful catherdral. I like the tone of the B&W and to answer your original question, Yes, colour and B&W do go together. There's just something about the colour being at the outsides instead of the centre that pulls my eyes apart. That was just an initial reaction though. Generally I love the photo and the colour enhances it even more. It's just in my nature to always want to try something else.

I still like the original the best. I don't like the one you did with just one window in colour, and cropping into 2 seperate images spoils it also. I'd really like to see it if you could colour the pulpit and stairs along with the windows though. Is that possible? This is the kind of work I would like to be able to do in the future, so I'm just curious if it can be done.

Wendy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast