Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: tech questons on faststone image viewer

Real Name
    mark

tech questons on faststone image viewer

can anyone guide me regarding: color sampling, huffman table, interpolation, cms, "Embedded Preview Image (Fastest)

i need to find what these terms means so i can make choices in setting, is there mention of these in the pd manual cause i cont find it if there is

i set everything to the option that it says is slowest, but that turned out to be too slow. i dont want to lose quality when saving a file

thanks
    Last edited by qaz; 19th August 2013 at 11:46 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: tech questons on faststone image viewer

Hi qaz

The term "Embedded Preview Image (Fastest)" is one option for viewing RAW files. With this option, the software simply extracts the embedded jpeg file from the raw file for viewing purposes, rather than process the full RAW file. High quality colour interolation refers to the method used to de-mosaic the RAW file if full processing is enabled. Each pixel in a RAW file has one value (R G or B) according to it's position in the colour mosaic filter on the front of the sensor. Surrounding values of other colour pixels are used to estimate the extra two colour values for a pixel using an interpolation method. If you're not interested in doing anything with RAW files, you don't need to worry about these two terms.

CMS stands for Colour Management System. Enabling this will force the software to use the colour profile embedded in a jpeg when displaying the colours in the image. You would be best to have this enabled. It doesn't effect the saving of jpeg files though, just the viewing.

Colour sub-sampling is a means of compressing the colour information in an image to get a smaller file. It is used a lot in video. I suggest you leave this dis-abled.

The Huffman table is a mathematical process used in the jpeg compression when saving a file. I believe you get best results is this if set to "optimize".

Dave

Real Name
    mark

Re: tech questons on faststone image viewer

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Hi qaz

The term "Embedded Preview Image (Fastest)" is one option for viewing RAW files. With this option, the software simply extracts the embedded jpeg file from the raw file for viewing purposes, rather than process the full RAW file. High quality colour interolation refers to the method used to de-mosaic the RAW file if full processing is enabled. Each pixel in a RAW file has one value (R G or B) according to it's position in the colour mosaic filter on the front of the sensor. Surrounding values of other colour pixels are used to estimate the extra two colour values for a pixel using an interpolation method. If you're not interested in doing anything with RAW files, you don't need to worry about these two terms.

CMS stands for Colour Management System. Enabling this will force the software to use the colour profile embedded in a jpeg when displaying the colours in the image. You would be best to have this enabled. It doesn't effect the saving of jpeg files though, just the viewing.

Colour sub-sampling is a means of compressing the colour information in an image to get a smaller file. It is used a lot in video. I suggest you leave this dis-abled.

The Huffman table is a mathematical process used in the jpeg compression when saving a file. I believe you get best results is this if set to "optimize".

Dave
    thanks Dave,

that explains much, however, i do always shoot raw , and usually convert to uncompressed jpegs [for Algamy micro stock agency]

.....its a good program but with holes in the manual, i plan to get capture one soon as i upgrade the pc

i wish there was a quick way to change these settings so that fast viewing is possible, instead of changing each one separately....anyone know?

do u have any more advise seeing as i use raw

thanks
    Last edited by qaz; 23rd August 2013 at 10:09 AM.