Thread: Tonado warned Super Cell and Lightning

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Tonado warned Super Cell and Lightning

I just got back to town after a three day visit to go see my dad and my sister. Both are dying of cancer, and both within the next six months to a year. Either way, the night before we left Lubbock to go to central Texas for the visit we had an extremely severe thunderstorm come in. It was tornado warned on two difference occasions, and I was able to photograph the storm around 10:30 PM during the first tornado warning. There was never a touch down but the storm structure was incredible.

After the storm cycled down the first time the lightning got pretty intense. I managed to get out ahead of it long enough to get this lightning picture. It hit about a mile and a half north of my location and the report from the lightning convinced me it was probably a good time to leave.

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Tonado warned Super Cell and Lightning

Kris those images are spectacular especially the second, that IS intense, don't blame you for getting out of there.
    Mate, real sorry to hear about your dad and sister, must be real tough for you all.
    Good luck, Greg

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Thanks Greg. My dad has accepted everything and told us that there is no silver lining, but he is 87 years old and if it wasn't cancer something would be coming sooner rather than later.

As for the pictures, thank you. My son was so excited when that storm went tornado warned I thought he was going to crawl out of his skin. I wish it was a little closer to Lubbock so I could have got better lighting from the city lights. I like the lightning one with the exception of the power lines going across it. I was in an unfamiliar area to set up right across the street, cropped out of this picture, was a ditch waist deep with water so I made the best of it and set up with the lines in the way.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Khris; good call to split, that is a little too close for comfort. The power lines aren't a problem for me. If they are for you it should be reasonably straight forward to clone or heal them out.

The first storm cloud is amazing. Are you sure there isn't a alien spacecraft in there somewhere?

Sorry to hear about your sister and dad.

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Khris; good call to split, that is a little too close for comfort. The power lines aren't a problem for me. If they are for you it should be reasonably straight forward to clone or heal them out.

The first storm cloud is amazing. Are you sure there isn't a alien spacecraft in there somewhere?

Sorry to hear about your sister and dad.
    Funny you should mention the "alien spacecraft." When a super cell takes on that kind of structure it is call a "mother ship" storm. During the day light hours, and from a distance, the side view of one of these storms is incredible.

I might work on the power lines at some point. I wish there had been a road that wasn't flooded or muddy on that side of the highway, and I'm sure I could have found one if I had kept traveling east, but that would have taken me too far out of the way of the storm and if we were caught in a hail core further east I don't know of an escape route that would have got me out of it.

Thanks for the sentiment for my sister and dad. It's going to be a rough ride over the next several months.

KHarmon

Real Name
    John

Best wishes to the family.

Awesome shots!

Real Name
    Ken

The wires also do not worry me at they liken electricity to the storm. I cloned out the lines and I prefer the image as you took it

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Ken, looking at the cloned version and I like it better. I can say this for sure, you are much better at cloning than I am. I don't have the patience nor the skill to get the results you got on this.