Thread: Bring Me Sunshine

Real Name
    John

Bring Me Sunshine

Eric Morecambe [p:morcum] was half of a very popular comedy duo called "Morecambe and Wise" in the relatively innocent 70s/early 80s. So popular that in fact at the height of their popularity, their Saturday Night show would literally empty the pubs and clubs as people went home to watch. The title of this post is the title of their theme song Bring Me Sunshine. For those of you that aren't familiar with the act, have a look at the following links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZedhoqYdfTM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WMj8Ml5pTA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zHBN45fbo8

Eric was born in and took his stage name from the seaside resort of Morecambe and they have erected a substantial tribute to him on the sea front. Apart from the statue, the area around it has paving stones engraved with a variety of quotes and memorabilia. It's popular and therefore much photographed and so I wanted to try and find a different approach. Of the three images, in the final shot I was trying to reflect his quirky (to say the least) sense of humour. During post processing it occurred to me that most of us viewed him (them) from the outside looking in - into a TV screen that is and hence the image breaking out of the frame at the bottom. I'm not normally given to flights of fancy and I don't even know if I have succeeded and so C&C very welcome.

P.S. One thing these shots have taught me is how cruel bright light is when photographing bronze.

Bring Me Sunshine

Bring Me Sunshine

Bring Me Sunshine
    Last edited by John 2; 17th August 2013 at 04:36 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Bring Me Sunshine

I think the last two are extremely nice and far superior to the first one. Well done!

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful images, I like #2 and #3 the best and it has something to do with the lighting.

Real Name
    John

Thanks Mike. Thanks Christina.

Real Name
    John

Nice shots.

Real Name
    Robin Chun

"ARSENAL" ! (not forgetting.." I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order)

Robin

Real Name
    Brian

My favorite comedians of the time. Number 3 for me is the best. What is the gull thinking?

Real Name
    John

Thanks John, thanks Robin, thanks Brian. I'd forgotten that André Previn had guested with them. I've added the link.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

"RUBBISH"

No, not the above images. They're very good. I think the sky behind the statue really helps and they have been well processed into B & Ws.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I think the last two are extremely nice and far superior to the first one. Well done!
    I second what Mike said. Bravo!

Real Name
    Dave

Hi John,

Many thanks for posting these. I have only been there once, and found it rather moving. As a Lancashire lad myself he was always my favourite.

To the pictures. For me it's number three by some margin. I never had the good fortune to meet Mr. Morecambe, but I think he would have loved it. There's a joke within it, too. Eric was a keen birdwatcher (hence the binoculars) and I'm sure that to be immortalised with a bird watching him would have tickled him pink.

Another quip:

"When a girl gets into a bathing suit she may never go near the water, but when she puts on a wedding dress she means business!"

Dave

Real Name
    John

Thanks Donald, thanks Graham, thanks Dave. The bird watching connection with the FG bird(s) (there are several) had escaped me Dave although I knew about it from reading about the statue.