Thread: Question for you all

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Question for you all

The image below was 'created'. I have been experimenting with backyard bird photography and set up this cut branch just above a seed tray. I positioned it so the light was right and the perfect distance for my 200-400 f/4 Nikon with 1.4 TC. I am sitting comfortably in my garage shooting through a hole in the wall that is covered with camo cloth. I draped a green sheet over my fence 25 feet away for the backdrop. This allows me to shoot at f/8 or f/11 and still have the creamy backgrounds. I have a flash set up but never used it on this shot. I also use an app on my iPad that send bird calls to a small Bluetooth speaker near the feeder. I have just endeavored on this new genre of photography for me and this was my first customer. I have some things I will change after this first attempt to make it look more genuine like possible backgrounds with texture etc.

My question is: Does this qualify as wildlife photography? Once you know the story behind this image does it take anything away from it?

Cheers,
    Monte

Question for you all

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Question for you all

Beautiful image... Yes, and very creative wildlife photography.

Knowing the story behind the photo makes me admire your ingenuity in capturing wildlife images.

Real Name
    Bruce

Very nice photograph.

Bruce

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

I guess it's still wildlife.

And - it's a beautiful image. Bokeh saucy.

Like Christina said,

admire your ingenuity in capturing wildlife images.

Real Name
    Steve

(does it take anything away from it ) Not to me..................it's a great image monte, and I can see you're about to get alot more of them. If it's a wild animal that you don't have any control over, it's wildlife photography. Finding ways to get close and set up your shots is what photography is all about. It's not about just capturing the animal...........but the essence of the animal ....personality....beauty....habits.............

Real Name
    Paul

I see nothing wrong with your approach. It certainly resulted in an excellent image. The side-lighting is very effective in revealing the finch's shape and your green background is very complimentary with the green needles. This looks like a very good start and technique to me.

Paul S

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Thanks for the replies. I asked because it just not have the same feel to me of an image captured in the wild.
    I would feel the need to explain the location and not claim it as a wilderness image.

Anyway, a bit of a self imposed conundrum and was just looking for opinions. I am going to continue this further and hopefully attract some more interesting birds.

Real Name
    Matthew

I pretty much agree with everything that Steve said. If you think about it, many wildlife photographers put out bait and use calls in the wild, so there is hardly any difference IMO. Some other thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by BCrose View Post
    I asked because it just not have the same feel to me of an image captured in the wild.
    Does the image not feel the same, or is it actually just the feeling that you know it was taking in that manner? Personally, if you improve the background, the image itself will be just like any other wildlife photo. I think I know how you are feeling about this. I am actually going to be trying some "set up" shots like this sometime soon (like to get into the hummers also)

I would feel the need to explain the location and not claim it as a wilderness image.
    There's certainly nothing wrong with that, and I'd tend to agree. It's up to each photographer to decide their comfort level. For instance, when I edit a photograph to clone something out, I typically write that when I'm presenting the image (on this forum, etc). I am in the same boat with you on this; I'd probably mention that it was 'backyard studio' shot or something. Same with captive animals at the zoo, etc. I have a book that I got recently by Joe McDonald, and he makes quite a point about being honest about captive vs wild when presenting images.

Great job and I look forward to seeing more of your photos as always.

Real Name
    Grahame

Monte,

Of course it's wildlife photography. It's a bird and it's wild, you have no control of it.

We often hear about taking pics of animals in their natural environment and I keep meaning to question the lizards, spiders, spider crabs, ants, moths, that live in my house and the occasional rat and cockroach that visit exactly what they consider as their natural environment

Real Name
    james

Monte My wife calls that behavior stalking the feeders and I am very guilty of it. I find myself doing it more often when my work load is heavy and I cant get out and hike. Mom said it would make me go blind but I didn't believe her.

Real Name
    james

by the way love the finch.

Real Name
    Andrew

Most of the people I've encountered on this forum so far are fairly open-minded as far as your question goes. Many have standards of their own on what they will and will not do but I haven't seen too many try to impose their isms on anyone else. Outside of a competition with formal rules we can call our photos anything we want to. In some circles, a wolf in a zoo could qualify in a Wildlife category but not a Nature category. Staging your photo as you did is quite common for subjects like backyard birds and dragonflies and yours is very well done. Congrats.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Monte,

I remember a brouhaha, a couple of years back, over a competition entry in which a wildlife/nature photographer had tempted/trained a wolf (wild) to jump a fence to get some food. The image was spectacular but then challenged because experienced naturalists said that wolves do not behave in this way without inducement.

As far as I can see you have not 'controlled ' the way the finch behaves, or more significantly perhaps, forced it to change its natural behaviour for you to get the shot.
    So, a 'true' nature shot.... keep it up, excellent image.
    James

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Monte,

“Created” image? No! Set up –Yes!
    Wildlife Photography? No! Bird Photography? Yes!

Does setting up a scene take anything away form it? I don’t think so.
    Does it qualify as a good image? Definitely!

All you basically did was set up a “studio” for bird photography.

Well done!

Real Name
    Peter

Excellent shot and probably not that differently captured than most "wildlife photography"
    as for that bird call app I am downloading it as I type
    Peter
    Thanks for the info

Real Name
    Brian

Superb photo. I don't think there is much difference these days between wildlife and nature photography. Natural habitats are being erroded so rapidly that to get a photo like that is well worth it.

Real Name
    Monte Comeau

Changed the BG by adding some yellow flowers mid-way between perch and BG. A little better looking I think.
    Now I need to work on attracting other birds as only Finches seem to like my feeder.

Question for you all

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by BCrose View Post
    Changed the BG by adding some yellow flowers mid-way between perch and BG. A little better looking I think.
    Now I need to work on attracting other birds as only Finches seem to like my feeder.

Question for you all

Just keep doing what you are doing.........................excellent image monte!!! (The background looks more natural as well.)