Thread: Erode

Real Name
    António Correia

Erode

Erode

Real Name
    John

Re: Erode

Very nice. Can be interpreted or visualized in multiple ways.

Real Name
    james

I love the contrast you created with the big white border. But I wish I could see the image bigger, from what I can tell the detail is great. I guess I just visualize it according to the title. Definitely interesting I came back to it 3 times before posting reply.

Real Name
    António Correia

Well guys, thank you for your comments !

In fact, I wanted to use a word meaning "erotion" to show how this phenomena is important these days of weather global changes, when the melting of glaciers have a tremendous impact on the life of populations leaving in certain areas of the Word, like near Himalayas for example where these images are from.

You probably know that some tragedy occurred in India in the past months in Uttarakhand. We were near that region. Well... not exactly near but some 1.000/2.000 km away.

I took these photographs on the road from Kargil to Srinagar coming from Leh.
    Again an endangered place in ambiental terms.
    I was thinking of the project I have seen of a couple of photographers where they were showing structures of land areas. I was looking at how the water provokes erosion ...

I wanted to name the project, not erosion because it would be too common but something different, more sophisticated.

And I found the word: Erode, I thought that it would be most convenient !

I have many more images to work on as I have photographed with this project in mind.

Colour is also a very nice way to show the concept but I opted humbly - in counterpoint to the work of Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee - by the black and white.

Can you see here any stupid dust spots ?

Erode
    Last edited by Antonio Correia; 7th August 2013 at 09:14 AM.

Real Name
    james

I think this will be a most interesting project.

Real Name
    Matthew

Both photos you have posted are excellent, and I really like the monochrome treatment. Very nice.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Well guys, thank you for your comments !

In fact, I wanted to use a word meaning "erotion" to show how this phenomena is important these days of weather global changes, when the melting of glaciers have a tremendous impact on the life of populations leaving in certain areas of the Word, like near Himalayas for example where these images are from.

You probably know that some tragedy occurred in India in the past months in Uttarakhand. We were near that region. Well... not exactly near but some 1.000/2.000 km away.

I took these photographs on the road from Kargil to Srinagar coming from Leh.

Erode
    just the ones on my monitor. I've been fighting the fight with specs as well.

Real Name
    António Correia

Thank you for the comments guys

The dust spots are a pain in the ass when over skies ! They even can make me abandon the images !

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Erode
    Yes I can. But that is not so important, as they can be removed.

I would like to compliment you on what I consider to be a classically beautiful B & W image. I think this is a wonderfully composed image and the tines and textures that you have brought out in making the B & W image are superb. I am very jealous of you.

Real Name
    António Correia

Donald... I do not believe you ! I do not believe you are jealous of me.

Someone who in an altruistic manner, stays here helping the others, who is always available (incorrect word I am sure ) for the others can't be - IS NOT - a jealous guy !

I just remembered there is a song by The Beatles with "I am just a jealous guy" ! You are not Donald.

The result of this is just some hours ( a lot of them) in front of the screen of a stubborn guy.

I melted Nik with layers in CS5 !

The stupid dust spots are hard to remove ! Brrrrrrr !

Here is another Erode from the afternoon work. I like this one Terribly... tremendously aggressive: like the global climate change !

Erode

Real Name
    Matthew

António, I am very much enjoying this series of beautiful photographs. I believe these are of top notch quality especially for black and white. I think you could make this into a book and sell it.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Like all of your images. Borders are really creative and nicely complement your pictures.

karm

Real Name
    António Correia

Thank you Matt and Karm

A book Matt ? Aren't you being a bit naive ? Excuse me for being so bold...

But who would buy such a publication from an unknown, anonymous photographer ?!

Real Name
    Matthew

A book Matt ? Aren't you being a bit naive ? Excuse me for being so bold...

Haha, Antonio, I am not sure if you are joking or not, but if you are serious, then you underestimate yourself severely! In fact I just browsed your flickr stream and was totally amazed. You see, I am not usually too interested in street type of photography (no offense meant) but when looking at your photos, I was captivated and became interested. If anyone else is reading this, you simply must view Antonio's website and flickr site.

But who would buy such a publication from an unknown, anonymous photographer ?!
    I suppose every photographer that ever published their first book thought the same thing...but then how would you get known and get started!

Real Name
    António Correia

Thank you Matt.
    I am/was not joking. Perhaps I underestimate myself ... Today someone asked me why I haven't yet submmited my work to LensWork. Someone who I consider to make good photography.
    No, he is not Portuguese and we don't even know each other. He is across the pond.
    Perhaps I will submit my work soon to that prestigious publication.
    I have been published in Silvershotz in pdf only as the magazine died for lack of money !
    -
    About books. I have printed quite some books from Blurb for "domestic" use but they have not the quality of images I want for my work. In fact, I print combining pigment based inks (Giclée) with high quality 315gr baryta archival quality paper with excellent quality ... at home doing myself everything from the photograph itself to the print process.
    Erode

Real Name
    Matthew

Very neat that you were published in that pdf! I have never heard of LensWork, but I just looked it up. Looks interesting. I think you ought to submit to it...here is a quote from their site

"Obviously, we can't publish everything that is submitted, but we also can't publish work that isn't ever submitted! The best way to start is to send in the work and let us take a look."

Real Name
    António Correia

Yes Matt, I know that

Larry Blackwood also told me to submit my work. I will do my best.

Thank you Matt.
    Have a look not only at the physical edition of LensWork when you can - ordering an issue for example - but also to the digital one. I only subscribe the last.

LensWork is a niche publication on photography. I mean something very hight quality exquisite publication. For refined people !

Number 107 just arrived at my mail box. Gorgeous as usual !

Best regards and have a nice week end