Thread: Lotus Temple - Baha'i Temple, India

Real Name
    Raj

Lotus Temple - Baha'i Temple, India

Hi, going forward on my photography venture I stopped and clicked another shot. Can you please review it and let me know what exactly is missing for it to reach position Perfect?

It is an HDR image of Lotus Temple, digitally blended in photoshop manually.

Thank You

Lotus Temple - Baha'i Temple, India

EXIF:
    Camera : Sony A57
    Lens : 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Focal lenfth : 10mm
    ISO : 100
    EV Range: -2 0 +2

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Lotus Temple - Baha'i Temple, India

Raj good use of HDR does not look over done at all. Sun coming up between the petals nice effect, however that area because it is so light is drawing my eye away from the rest of the image. Did you take a series of shots of this building, I think a shot a couple of minutes before would light the ground up around and under yet still have enough light for the rest of the buildings.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Raj good use of HDR does not look over done at all. Sun coming up between the petals nice effect, however that area because it is so light is drawing my eye away from the rest of the image. Did you take a series of shots of this building, I think a shot a couple of minutes before would light the ground up around and under yet still have enough light for the rest of the buildings.

Cheers:

Allan
    Thanks for the review Initially I took 5 exposures -2 -1 0 +1 +2 but used only -2 0 +2. I deliberately kept my sun a bit brighter because of i wanted to keep the sun position and rest of the temple on equal attention. Dont know if it is a right idea for equal attention Please share your views.

Real Name
    james

Raj this is a really interesting shot. I might have been tempted to take a couple steps to the right and centered the sun over the center of building, it would have pulled you off center of entrance and darkened the sun just a touch.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Raj,

I tend to agree with the consensus that the sun is just a bit too bright.

The other thing I noticed is that on certain edges, it looks to have been sharpened with too wide a radius and the are light or dark halo edges - check out the white edged handrails against the sky on extreme right and the dark patches above the windows visible through to far side of temple on left of centre.

It isn't too widespread though, so perhaps only one of the contributing images was affected.

However, I am being quite fussy (as you requested "for Perfect"), there is far more correct about this picture than wrong - I happen to like the sun position and the flare spot on right.

You might be able to boost the blue sky saturation a bit selectively.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by jamn4ex View Post
    Raj this is a really interesting shot. I might have been tempted to take a couple steps to the right and centered the sun over the center of building, it would have pulled you off center of entrance and darkened the sun just a touch.
    thanks a lot for your suggestion. I will be going to lotus temple in few days then i will surely click the shot which you suggested.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Raj,

I tend to agree with the consensus that the sun is just a bit too bright.

The other thing I noticed is that on certain edges, it looks to have been sharpened with too wide a radius and the are light or dark halo edges - check out the white edged handrails against the sky on extreme right and the dark patches above the windows visible through to far side of temple on left of centre.

It isn't too widespread though, so perhaps only one of the contributing images was affected.

However, I am being quite fussy (as you requested "for Perfect"), there is far more correct about this picture than wrong - I happen to like the sun position and the flare spot on right.

You might be able to boost the blue sky saturation a bit selectively.

Hope that helps,
    Thank you for your valuable suggestions. I have more sun shots with the temple with different exposures. I will definitely try my best to correct the points which you suggested.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Yes, the sun looks a little too bright for me too.

In positions like this it can be good to place yourself and camera exactly at the point where the sun casts a shadow. Then you'll get a sunburst effect if you stop down enough (f11 to f16) as the sun partially eclipses the building. Because the dynamic range is really high, a bracket of +2 (for the shadows and the building), 0, -2, -4, -6, and maybe -8 (to capture a yellower sun) may have helped.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    Yes, the sun looks a little too bright for me too.

In positions like this it can be good to place yourself and camera exactly at the point where the sun casts a shadow. Then you'll get a sunburst effect if you stop down enough (f11 to f16) as the sun partially eclipses the building. Because the dynamic range is really high, a bracket of +2 (for the shadows and the building), 0, -2, -4, -6, and maybe -8 (to capture a yellower sun) may have helped.
    Thanks for the valuable suggestion. I was looking for information on internet about how to take a yellow sun since days, i will surely try to use your suggestion on taking a yellow sun shot

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Raj.

Interesting view of the temple. If it were my image, I would have increased the saturation and darkened it by changing the gamma to a lower number. It will make the image look more like the colors of a sunrise. Doing so will cause loss of detail inside the building and under it, but I don't think those details are important compared to the geometric shapes and colors.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    Hi Raj.

Interesting view of the temple. If it were my image, I would have increased the saturation and darkened it by changing the gamma to a lower number. It will make the image look more like the colors of a sunrise. Doing so will cause loss of detail inside the building and under it, but I don't think those details are important compared to the geometric shapes and colors.
    Thanks for the appreciation and review. I have more sunshots of the temple. I will surely work more on the sun with your suggestions. Sun shots just fascinates me, so i need to work more with the sun in the post processing.