Thread: Some pictures you plan. Others just happen.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Some pictures you plan. Others just happen.

I like the activity of planning a picture (Scouting the location. Carefully selecting the best angle for the shot. Taking time to get the best lighting, even if that means re-visiting several times).

But then nature takes over sometimes and just throws up the picture right there in front of you. And you have to act quickly.

Always happy to have your comments and criticism.

Some pictures you plan. Others just happen.
    40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L @ 24mm. ISO100. 1/90s@f11
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd August 2013 at 02:31 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Some pictures you plan. Others just happen.

This is a great example of being at the right place at the right time and having the tools, passion and skills to take full advantage of it. Ironically, it's not an example of your typical style of photography, so those who know that appreciate that it also demonstrates the wide range of your expert capabilities.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Nice Donald, I'm not sure if the foreground is enough? I would like to see more or leave it out but I see your lens is at its widest capability. The opportunity for me would be to have the rays coming directly out of the top right hand corner which would allow a little more of the foreground and a bit less of the darker clouds at the top. A good shot either way.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Hi Donald. I love this type of image. The light rays really give the sky a dynamic look. I agree with Wayne on the foreground. In this image, I can't figure out its purpose except to tell the viewer that you were standing on land when you took the picture.

karm

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I like the foreground. It adds depth to the image. I would consider cropping out the clouds just below the black lenticular cloud on the left. I like the black and swirling clouds, they just dominate the image a bit too much and add excessive weight to the top.

I seemingly really on serendipity more than you. My plans are frequently thwarted by reality and most of my good images are opportunistic. Brilliant of you to have grabbed this opportunity.

Real Name
    james

This one happened to work out , when mine just happen , they seem to look a lot more bland. I like the crop the way it is, I wouldn't want to lose those darker clouds up front top.

Real Name
    Christina

I adore how you captured the rays of light in the sky...

Real Name
    Matthew

Excellent work, Donald. A very simple and elegant composition, with a surprisingly large amount of detail, texture, and tone.

I find that the angles of the clouds contrast effectively with the angle of the light rays, giving a "zig zag" or dynamic type of motion to the composition for my eyes. And then after enjoying the photo for a while longer, I noticed that the foreground rocks have a shape and angle that echo those of some of the clouds. This works very well, especially at the 1:1 crop

Real Name
    Phil Page

Lovely shot, Donald. The foreground is a little lacking but that can't be helped. One thing I see from several photographers in my area (as foregrounds are very often lacking and sparse here) is that the photographer puts the camera on timer and places himself in the scene for scale and a little foreground interest.

Whether or not you are confident to define a low key or near silhouette of yourself as 'foreground interest' may be open to interpretation!

Real Name
    Dan

Nice shot, Donald. Good job of capturing a unique moment of lighting on the fly. Regarding all the comments about the FG, IMO you end up with a completely different image w/out it. With FG I see a lake/loch. Without it, the sea.

That is an awesome sky.

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    I like the foreground. It adds depth to the image. I would consider cropping out the clouds just below the black lenticular cloud on the left. I like the black and swirling clouds, they just dominate the image a bit too much and add excessive weight to the top.
    Donald, Trevor's suggestions here are exactly right.

Philip

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you all for your varying thoughts and opinions. Rest assured, they are valuable. I take all of them on board and the next time I'm in a similar situation (not necessarily exactly the same), I will recall what each of you has said and programme that into my compositional decision-making, except .................

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    that the photographer puts the camera on timer and places himself in the scene for scale and a little foreground interest.
    I do have some feelings for my audience and would not want to subject them to that. I'd need to improve my PP skills first so that I could look thinner!! Or I suppose I could try and lose weight.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Donald.

If this were my image, I would crop a bit off the top to eliminate the topmost black cloud, but knowing that you like square formats, I don't know how to do that. I happen to like the rest of the image, including the foreground, just the way you have it.

Real Name
    Richard

Lovely shot. I do kind of agree with Trevor and Ken regarding a bit of a crop towards the top.

By the way Phil's idea of placing yourself in the image wouldn't work for me! My lenses are to expensive to risk damaging them by shooting a picture of myself even if I could micro-focus the lens after the shot!