Thread: Dead Camera

Real Name
    Judi

Dead Camera

I have a Konica Minolta 7d. I havent used it in a while but decided to take it out the other day. When I turned it on it came on just fine but a little sluggish. The first shutter release came out black but then started working fine. It took some really nice pictures. Yesterday I turned it on and it was acting funny. Wouldn't let me change some of the settings. When I tried to put it in manual mode it would go into program 3. If I tried to put it in shutter priority it would stay in apperture priority. Also it wouldnt let me get into the menu or play back. I thought maybe it was the batteries but they are all charged and I even put a battery checker on them. Today the camera will not turn on at all. Is this just a worn out camera that needs to be tossed or is there hope for it?

Thanks,

Judi

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Re: Dead Camera

If you haven't used it in a while and left the battery in place it could have corroded the contacts. It may be worth cleaning both camera and battery contacts before you consider any other action.

Real Name
    Judi

Thanks Mike,

I checked all that and the contacts on camera and batteries appear to be clean. But will try to clean also and see if that helps.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Someone back sometime ago had something similar, I believe they were told to remove the batteries for a couple of days to drain all the power and then the reinstall batteries. You have a small onboard battery that runs things like time and date, you want to drain that one also, that is why you wait a couple of days before reinstalling the main ones.

Cheers:

Allan

PS: it was in a thread maybe a year ago.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by judihamby View Post
    But will try to clean also and see if that helps.
    Best not to use sandpaper or a nail-file or even Brasso

Q-tips are good, though . . .

Real Name
    Judi

Thanks guys,

I will try all of that.