Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Couple More From Byron Bay

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

A Couple More From Byron Bay

These two shots were taken late afternoon looking into the sun with a fair bit of glare off the water. I was reasonably happy with them as they are a bit different to the usual sunset shots but I wondered how others felt about them. How does the minimal colour work ?

They were taken with my Canon G15

Dave

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: A Couple More From Byron Bay

As calm and serene as Joe Root pulling another long hop to the boundary

You have some nice sun rays poking through on #1. Could they be emphasised more in pp? #1 works better for me, but the figure in the foreground on the second shot gives some scale and context. The background and blown highlights are difficult to avoid though.

Real Name
    Noel

hi Dave,
    I like the rays on #1, but although I am sure you captured it accurately, the water looks unnatural to me - almost "solid" looking. Of the two, I prefer #2. I like the position of the person in the foreground, and actually like the glare on the water, I think it creates a nice diagonal from the figure.
    - Noel

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    As calm and serene as Joe Root pulling another long hop to the boundary

You have some nice sun rays poking through on #1. Could they be emphasised more in pp? #1 works better for me, but the figure in the foreground on the second shot gives some scale and context. The background and blown highlights are difficult to avoid though.
    Actually I'm over cricket, can we move on to something interesting like royal babies ??

Yes Phil it might be possible to do a bit more with the rays in pp - I just don't know how!!

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    hi Dave,
    I like the rays on #1, but although I am sure you captured it accurately, the water looks unnatural to me - almost "solid" looking. Of the two, I prefer #2. I like the position of the person in the foreground, and actually like the glare on the water, I think it creates a nice diagonal from the figure.
    - Noel
    Thanks Noel, I know what you mean about the water in the first - not sure why it's like that. Shutter speed was 1/2500 sec.

In hindsight, I should have tried to make a bit more out of the surfers in the water. The shot should be all about people enjoying that magic time of day.

Dave

Real Name
    Kevin

Both good. You've certainly captured the serenity well. I am more drawn back to #1- I agree that experimenting with the sky in it might yield some interesting results. Interesting you mention the partial colourization, I quite like it and have also been experimenting with getting a feel for its best implementation.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Interesting you mention the partial colourization, I quite like it and have also been experimenting with getting a feel for its best implementation.
    Thanks Kevin. I've never done much of this sort of thing - it does require experimentation to use it effectively I think.

Dave