Thread: Cigarette and mobile phone

Real Name
    Raj

Cigarette and mobile phone

Hi, going forward on my photography venture I stopped and clicked another shot. Can you please review it and let me know what exactly is missing for it to reach position Perfect?

Thanks

Cigarette and mobile phone

EXIF Info:
    Camera: Sony Alpha 57
    Aperture: F11
    Shutter Speed: 30 seconds
    ISO: 100

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Re: Cigarette and mobile phone

i like it, so i take it that you didnt use flash hence to 30 secs exposure. Only thing i would do was to have the cigarette a little more in focus

Real Name
    Grahame

Raj,

It's not lit

Seriously, superb image quality of the tobacco and end of the paper but I wonder if a slight bit of definition to the paper, as seen in the reflection would improve it ? Perhaps a smaller aperture to have given a slightly greater DOF could be tried. Or it may be that the paper is overexposed and blown ?

Grahame

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by allenlennon View Post
    i like it, so i take it that you didnt use flash hence to 30 secs exposure. Only thing i would do was to have the cigarette a little more in focus
    Thanks for the valuable suggestion, i will keep that in mind for my next shoot.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Nice concept!

Notice that the white paper would look entirely two-dimensional were it not for the circular shape at the end of the cigarette. Try lighting it so at least a small shadow is displayed along the length of the cigarette. The shadow will further define the shape and make the image look more three-dimensional. Indeed, notice that the shadow displayed in the reflection of the cigarette has exactly that impact on the reflection; a shadow on the cigarette itself will similarly improve the image.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Raj,

It's not lit

Seriously, superb image quality of the tobacco and end of the paper but I wonder if a slight bit of definition to the paper, as seen in the reflection would improve it ? Perhaps a smaller aperture to have given a slightly greater DOF could be tried. Or it may be that the paper is overexposed and blown ?

Grahame
    haha Yes, it not lit. I thought of it but have to restrain myself because i clicked it at my home and i can't lit it inside my room Thanks for your kind review I will work on the exposures and with different DOF as suggested

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Nice concept!

Notice that the white paper would look entirely two-dimensional were it not for the circular shape at the end of the cigarette. Try lighting it so at least a small shadow is displayed along the length of the cigarette. The shadow will further define the shape and make the image look more three-dimensional. Indeed, notice that the shadow displayed in the reflection of the cigarette has exactly that impact on the reflection; a shadow on the cigarette itself will similarly improve the image.
    Thank you for your kind review I will keep your valuable suggestions in my mind and will do my best to make the Cigarette shoots much better.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Raj,

Give up now - smoking, not photography

I might be tempted to either; make more of the reflection at the end of the cigarette, or hide it by placing so it falls over the white apple.

Beyond that, the sharp logo/barcode distracts enormously I'm afraid.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Raj,

Give up now - smoking, not photography

I might be tempted to either; make more of the reflection at the end of the cigarette, or hide it by placing so it falls over the white apple.

Beyond that, the sharp logo/barcode distracts enormously I'm afraid.

Hope that helps,
    haha i smoke just 1 ciggy a day :P Thanks a tonn for your suggestion dave. I will make a new small logo and will use some blend mode so that it doesnt distracts. Will surely keep everything in my mind.
    Regards