Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pinhole photography

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Pinhole photography

A thread promted by Peter winning Mini Comp #49 with a shot from a film camera that doesn't even have a lens

Mini Competition #49 - Winner Peter: Roman Bath

Well done Peter

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 17th December 2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: change title to new thread

Real Name
    Peter

Pinhole photography

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't usually pass comment, but this is just weird - Peter wins Mini Comp #49 with a shot from a film camera that doesn't even have a lens - that can't be right
    .. but it does show it's the guy or gal with their finger on the button that makes all the difference

Mini Competition #49 - Winner Peter: Roman Bath

Well done Peter

Cheers,
    Thanks Dave,

Just goes to show you don't need expensive equipment to take good photos, although not having a view finder let alone a lens and then having to wait a week or so to see what you shot is a bit frustrating. If you want to se a master then go to http://www.stevegoslingphotography.co.uk/new-work.htm. I have his book 'Lensless Landscapes' which inspired me to have a go.

Peter

Real Name

Pinhole photography

More thought, which if it develops I will split into a new thread.

Have you tried drilling a tiny hole in a body cap for your DSLR?

I haven't, I gather it is possible, but I have no idea whether the cap to sensor distance matters, nor if the thickness of the cap material plays any part - e.g. is it better to have a knife-edge pinhole rather than a tunnel through something thicker.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 17th December 2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: change title to new thread

Real Name
    Peter

Pinhole photography

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    More thought, which if it develops I will split into a new thread.

Have you tried drilling a tiny hole in a body cap for your DSLR?

I haven't, I gather it is possible, but I have no idea whether the cap to sensor distance matters, nor if the thickness of the cap material plays any part - e.g. is it better to have a knife-edge pinhole rather than a tunnel through something thicker.

Cheers,
    The best way to do this is to cut a larger hole in the cap, say about 2cm diameter and then fix some thin aluminium across the hole and put a small, very small, hole in the centre of this. If you try and do it through the cap itself you will suffer from considerable blurring and diffraction problems. There are companies who make cap conversions.

I also have a pinhole optic for my Lensbaby which I have used quite successfully. This also has a zone plate option but that another whole area.

Peter
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 17th December 2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: change title to new thread

Real Name

Re: Pinhole photography

Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    The best way to do this is to cut a larger hole in the cap, say about 2cm diameter and then fix some thin aluminium across the hole and put a small, very small, hole in the centre of this. If you try and do it through the cap itself you will suffer from considerable blurring and diffraction problems. There are companies who make cap conversions.~
    Thanks Peter, now you say that, it rings a distant bell

Perhaps one should use a pin to make the very small hole

I need a spare body cap now

Santa, santa, are you there?
    I'll be good next year I promise

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Keith Cooper has an interesting article on the subject here.

Real Name
    Peter

This is another from my recent trip to Bath. Exposure was about 30secs if memory serves and F138 using Ilford PanF Plus 50ISO film, scanned from negative with no further processing.

Pinhole photography

Real Name
    Steve

Going back in time; reversed lens now pinhole photography. Well I'm hoping for an L type for Christmas but not going to get it so a pinhole sounds a great compromise. I don't think any of my pinhole pics were very good a hundred years ago; when my granddad tried to prove you don't actually need a lens, but Peter's are inspirational.

Real Name

Hi Peter,

I wondered how it would sharpen up, I'm not sure it is an improvement though
    Pinhole photography

Guess I'll have to wait until Santa visits and I can try on my own shots

Thanks for the link Colin.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Peter

This was one of my first attempts using the Zero. The odd colours are due to using out of date film

Pinhole photography