Thread: Not a Portrait

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Not a Portrait

I'm not a portrait photographer although I'm beginning to learn something about it. I'm posting this shot with my wife (left) and her sister (right) because it was a delightful location. It's called Mt. Shasta Lavender Farms and it's located in northern California...I'll post a link below for anyone who is interested for a photo op.

The lighting was OK (not great) for the mountain but bad for the people so I used a flash fill to mitigate the harsh shadows.

Not a Portrait

Here's a link to the lavender farm: http://www.mtshastalavenderfarms.com/ A late frost prevented the lavender from showing its best stuff this year but at least I had a clear day so I could see all the mountain.

While not a portrait photographer I shot my grandson's senior pictures as a graduation gift. I thought I'd post one so you can see I didn't corner all the good looks in the family.

Not a Portrait

Chuck

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Not a Portrait

Indeed, different from you Chuck.

I think you've made a really good job of the managing the lighting and exposure in that first one of your wide and her sister. Your skill takes what, for most poeple, would come out as a dull family snap, up to another level altogether.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Hi Chuck, both are nice. (Chuck, the point of trying different forms of photography is to learn how to become a competent photographer. Everything I attempt, even when crap, teaches me something about some aspect of photography.)

karm

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thank you Donald. Karm, I agree....the learning never stops and there is always more to know in both the technical and artistic realms.

Real Name
    Greg

Chuck, I second what both Donald and Karm have said. I think you have used the fill flash to good effect.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thanks Footloose. I manually exposed for the background then used TTL flash.

Chuck

The first one has the main foreground elements placed rather centrally but it is one of those cases which breaks the rules.

That offset distant peak and path on the left manages to throw the symmetry just sufficiently to produce a great shot.