Thread: Moon Shots

Real Name
    Tom

Moon Shots

Have to admit, I have not had much success at shooting the moon. Not certain if I am doing something wrong or it is an equipment issue? Here was one feeble attempt at including it in the shot but adding to it in hopes of covering up my poor abilities, lol. Would love to hear C&C as well as any tips on shooting this subject. Thanks.

Moon Shots

Real Name
    Gretchen

Re: Moon Shots

Tom,

I'm in your boat. We had the super moon last night and I didn't even try. My point and shoot just too limited. I've tried and tried and nothing works. *sign* Just one more justification and rationalization for spending money on a new camera.

Gretchen

Real Name
    Tom

I almost convinced myself on the fact I like a P&S over other equipment (equipment I desire but never could afford)...almost. All of this, me, is kind of a joke already. How depressing and sad to have such envy...

Real Name
    Paul

It depends on what kind of moon shot you are after. If you want lots of detail, a very long telephoto (or perhaps a camera mounted on a telescope) is needed. The moon's exposure is very bright unless you are shooting it just above the horizon and through lots of atmospheric haze. Here is a cropped image from last night. It was shot at ISO 200, f/4.0, 1/640 second, image stabilization ON, mounted on a tripod. It captured lots of detail. The reason I used these settings is vibration ruins the fine detail my 500 can resolve. From past experience, I know these settings will work for my equipment and technique. If the moon is higher in the sky or the sky is very clear, it is even brighter and I can use a higher shutter speed (1/800). Shooting at slower shutter speeds has given me fewer keepers with my setup.

Paul S

Moon Shots

Real Name
    Tom

Thank you guys for all the information. Given the equipment I have currently, this might be one subject I leave alone for now. If I was to back further away from my subject in the foreground, would that give the opportunity to have the moon fill the frame more?

Real Name
    David

Hello Tom

The best way to photograph the moon with a point and shoot is to use what is known is the 'afocal' method. In practise this means using a telescope, and holding your camera up to the eyepiece, focusing on the subject (in this case the moon) and taking the image. It takes a bit of practise but the results can be pretty good. If using a DSLR, then attach the camera body to the telscope using a T2 ring and a camera adaptor/extension tube and use the telescope as a large telephoto lens.

As Paul S says, a DSLR and a telephoto lens can bring good results as well, but as with any astrophotography it needs practise and patience to get it right. In the same way that you would photograph any astronomical object, I would advise photographing the moon when it is high in the sky, as imaging through the thickest part of the atmosphere produces a lot of distortions due to air turbulence which will degrade the finer details.

Here's the photo I took of the moon using my DSLR and a Sigma 150-500mm DG OS HSM lens. This was handheld at 500mm, 1/500s f8. A couple of other moon and other astro images I've done can be seen here www.dmottershead.co.uk. Keep practising, it takes time

moon-17-02-2013.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DavidM61; 25th June 2013 at 07:43 PM.