Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dancing Ladies

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dancing Ladies

The community-owned island of Gigha has 3 wind turbines, owned by the community, that provide significant income that is invested in bettering life for the 120 inhabitants of the island. At the moment, the money is being ploughed into improving the housing stock that was allowed to deteriorate when the island was in private ownership. That's a story that's been repeated elsewhere in Scotland on other islands and vast estates bought up by individuals to have as their private playground. The land ownership system in this country stinks and land reform is badly needed.

These three turbines are known as the Dancing Ladies and as soon as I saw them when we arrived on the island, I knew I wanted to make 3 images - One Lady Dancing; Two Ladies Dancing; Three Ladies Dancing. These are the results.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Dancing Ladies
    40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L @ 24mm. ISO100. 1/30s@f5.6

Dancing Ladies
    40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L @ 24mm. ISO400. 1/125s@f8

Dancing Ladies
    40D, 70-200mm f/4L IS @ 70mm. ISO100. 1/180@f11.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Dancing Ladies

The first one is really magical for me.

I fear that people not using a calibrated monitor and a really good browser such as Firefox may not see the top of the rear turbine in the second photo. It's clear from the focal length used in that photo that you were up high and reasonably close to the foreground scenery. What were you on that is so high?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Dancing Ladies

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    What were you on that is so high?
    Mike - Thanks for commenting. I was actually on that raised ground you see on the left background in the first one