Thread: Dragonfly

Real Name
    Terri

Dragonfly

Got myself out early one morning for a walk to the back of our property in Texas. Will post wildflowers another day but I was quite pleased with these shots of this dragonfly. He sat long enough for me to set up the tripod and focus in using magnified live view. Having the 400mm lens helped keep him from getting too nervous.

These are both cropped a reasonable amount for composition, mostly to remove some distracting stems/sticks. I like the angle of the first one best.

Dragonfly

Dragonfly

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Dragonfly

The first one is a gem.

Real Name
    Steve

Nice job, terri. Your images look a touch green. A little magenta will balance out the colors.

Real Name
    Dan

These are awesome, Terri. I can just feel the damp green morning. I like the first one best but they both have advantages. Nice job.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    A little magenta will balance out the colors.
    I didn't notice that until Steve mentioned it. Now that he has and that I added a touch of magenta, I agree.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Hi Terri, very nice set. Great details. Background a bit busy but not compromising, thanks to the great bokeh effect! Both images work very well, IMHO.

Cheers!

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Fantastic colors, clarity, composition.

Congrats!

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Nice job, terri. Your images look a touch green. A little magenta will balance out the colors.
    Thanks Steve. I couldn't see it until I put the rework next to it. Still not sure I got it right. Adding a little magenta made it look blue to me so then I added a little yellow. How does this one look?

Dragonfly

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments. Much appreciated!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Thanks Steve. I couldn't see it until I put the rework next to it. Still not sure I got it right. Adding a little magenta made it look blue to me so then I added a little yellow. How does this one look?

Dragonfly
    Go to the curves tool......................green channel (opposite of green is magenta)...............place a dot in the middle of the curve and pull towards the bottom right corner. Over do it a little ....................adjust the opacity untill it looks neither green nor magenta (clicking the eyeball on and off will help to see it)

Another way is to go to .........image..........adjustments...........colo r balance and move the middle slider towards magenta.

Real Name
    Matthew

Gorgeous detail in these!

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks Matt!

Steve, thank you for the extra details. I didn't know how to do that. I was using the white balance sliders. I'm using Lightroom by the way. here's another try. Funny how I can sometimes see this better on other people's photos than I can my own. :-)

Dragonfly

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Thanks Matt!

Steve, thank you for the extra details. I didn't know how to do that. I was using the white balance sliders. I'm using Lightroom by the way. here's another try. Funny how I can sometimes see this better on other people's photos than I can my own. :-)

Dragonfly

Much better, terri. Colors look clean now.

I must have good color vision, because I can spot a color shift, a mile away.................

On a side note, when you start printing, you will see those small shifts in your prints .................INSTANTLY!

Best to learn how to spot and correct them , before you print and waste paper.