Thread: city by the sea.

Real Name
    Harmon Bobbitt II

city by the sea.

city by the sea.

Real Name
    Mary

Re: city by the sea.

Exposure is good. But the composition needs something. It doesn't catch my attention. More sky, less sky, different crop maybe---mary

Real Name
    Greg

I agree with Mary here. On viewing this right here, nothing takes my attention. But I also agree with Mary about a different crop. When I open this in max size, it takes a big slice off the top and bottom -- and becomes much more interesting. Try cropping to about 1 cm above the to of the building on the right and 1cm below the dude jumping the wave in the center of the picture.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This is a nice image with lots of potential. I like that it makes me feel as if this group of tall buildings was plopped down almost in the middle of nowhere.

My preferred crop would be at the bottom just ever so slightly below the lowest swimmer. I would also like to see the Levels and Curve tools used to produce more contrast and pop.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Harmon,

If my attempt is of any help it will be great. If You do not like what I have done, I will remove my post.

I do not like doing this but it is the only way I can explain what I mean.

A little sharpening, cropping, straightening and tuning up the shadows, to get rid of the haze, in Picasa.

Hope it is better.

I like the idea.

city by the sea.

Real Name
    Harmon Bobbitt II

I like. Very helpful. I am just starting to try landscape.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

city by the sea.

This is another 30 second edit; I find that there is too much water and too much sky in the image (after all you say you are shooting the city), so reducing this and focusing on the buildings themselves may work better for you. The other issue with all of the sand and sea is that you get a bit of haziness, and correcting for that and increasing the contrast a bit might work as well.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 30th May 2013 at 02:45 PM.

Real Name
    pinaki

I agree with all specially with mike.It lacks contrast.Level tool is very good but simple processing as shown by Andre and Manfred is lot easier. I use photoscape which you can download from internet. It is also very good software.

Real Name
    John

Another take. I like the opportunity to practice. I've altered the crop to try and take the eye to the city aspect and then tone mapped mostly mid tones at 2 curve settings to try and give the building more grit without making it obvious. Also corrected the vertical on the extreme right building. I would say I have sharpened it a little bit too much so increased the saturation a bit as well.

city by the sea.

John
    -