Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Studio Shot: Broken III

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Studio Shot: Broken III

Greg (FootLoose) mentioned in my first thread using this broken hot light that this part of the bulb is interesting enough to photograph on its own. I hadn't thought of doing that, so I really appreciate his suggestion, especially now that I have made this photo.

Photo #1
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 27th May 2013 at 12:41 PM.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Re: Studio Shot: Broken III

Yes!!!!!! This I get. Love the colors, shapes, highlights ans shadows. Very nice.

Marie

Glad you like it, Marie. This is my favorite of the three photos.

Real Name
    Bruce

This is a very interesting photo. I like the reflection.

Bruce

Real Name
    Christina

Gorgeous! Stunningly beautiful! Even more so than your beautiful glasses... you've made ugly, beautiful...

I love the composition, lines, shadows, simplicity, rich colour and sharp details. My favourite photo of your glass photos and I never thought I would say that!

I'm off to find a lightbulb...

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    I'm off to find a lightbulb...
    Don't forget the hammer. Seriously, thanks so much for your nice compliments.

Real Name
    Christina

Yes, Mike you might just have of inspired me to try photographing a light bulb. If I try it, for sure I will try the hammer thing, too

Seriously, I think this photo is a work of art that will likely hang in a museum of photography, one day... Keep at it!

Real Name
    Greg

Great shot, Mike. The colours work wonderfully for me. Simplicity is beautiful.

Thanks, Greg!

This one is for those who like monochromes...and for those who aren't used to blue bulbs.

Photo #2
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 27th May 2013 at 03:05 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Not shure which i like better. It's a great shot in both b&w and color. Great job on this one mike!!!

Real Name
    Shane

Mike, I have been lurking on the posts of your 'broken' series and must say that this is "The One"! I'm not a blue person so the mono version is the one I prefer but both are stunning!

I will say right now that this series is a lesson in working the scene, or the subject in this case, with impressive results.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice try. I like.

B/w looks like a broken egg shell. Ahhhh, next project.

Real Name
    Greg

Lol! Actually Bobo, it looks like a map of Australia ... but maybe you need to be one of us to appreciate that

Thank you to everyone for your feedback. However, Greg, please don't encourage Bobo or his idea about broken egg shells.

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    it looks like a map of Australia ... but maybe you need to be one of us to appreciate that
    I must admit that you sent me scampering for a map to figure that out and I realized that your idea is not as farfetched as I initially thought.

I initially envisioned the image as part of the "Broken" series of the same light bulb. So, in the first photo in this thread, I adhered to using the blue glass, the black tabletop and the grey background for the sake of consistency.

However, I never completely liked that the photo was essentially blue glass with a monochrome tabletop and background. My solution was to make the entire image monochrome. For me, all of the tones of the monochrome version complement each other and I like that one the best at least up to that point. I like it so much more that I also think it trumps the other two photos in the "Broken" series enough that it merits being shown on its own.

Having thought about the reason I don't like the first photograph quite as much, I decided to have a go at integrating color into the tabletop and background. However, my biggest weakness as a studio photographer is that I'm terrible as a designer when it comes to the use of color. I would especially appreciate your thoughts about these two versions and any suggestions of alternative ideas using this concept that might work better.

I like Photo #3 because its kitschy, dramatic style grabs my attention. However, I prefer Photo #4 at least at this moment because I like its more subtle use of drama.

Photo #3

Photo #4
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 28th May 2013 at 12:01 AM.

Real Name
    Christina

The first blue photo is my favourite, and I prefer the 2nd coloured one (blue) over the purple because the blue of the lightbulb stands out more. That said, I like #1 the best.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 27th May 2013 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    I prefer the 2nd coloured one (blue) over the purple because the blue of the lightbulb stands out more.
    I think you're preferring Photo #4 over Photo #3. I have now numbered all of the photos (probably after you posted your message) to make it easier to refer to them.

I agree that the back lighting seems more dramatic in Photo #4 even though absolutely everything about the light bulb itself is the same in both versions.

Real Name
    Christina

Yes, that is correct but as you know I may be colour-challenged, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I think you're preferring Photo #4 over Photo #3. I have now numbered all of the photos (probably after you posted your message) to make it easier to refer to them.

I agree that the back lighting seems more dramatic in Photo #4 even though absolutely everything about the light bulb itself is the same in both versions.

Real Name
    Matthew

#2, by far, works best for me; it is superb. Though personally I would like to see a minuscule amount of tonal gradation in the black tabletop, so it's not a solid black. I tried it quickly in Pshop and it looks good to me. I used 90% gray from the top/far edge, fading down into black about 1/3 of the way down. Can send it to you if you want to see it.

Excellent shot!!

Thanks for the idea, Matt. I look forward to trying your suggestion but first have to resuscitate my post-processing software. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast