Thread: Studio shot: Broken

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Studio shot: Broken

This hot light was rated to last 6 hours. Once it died, it wasn't interesting enough to photograph, so I enlisted the help of a hammer.

Hot lights are called that for good reason. I know from personal experience that they will instantly melt a hole in synthetic fabrics such as diffusion material that comes in contact with the bulb.

I'll keep the pieces. Please let me know of any other concepts you have in mind about how to photograph them. However, all ideas that even hint of putting the pieces back together will be summarily rejected.

Studio shot: Broken
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 19th May 2013 at 09:24 PM.

Real Name
    Terry

Re: Studio shot: Broken

Nice shot Mike!

The only suggestion that comes to mind would be to get it just a millisecond after the hammer blow to catch it shattering and falling with the hammer head sharp!

Tough shot but I have Faith in you, Brother!

Probably easier and less time consuming to put the pieces back together!

So I'll just consider myself summarily rejected!

Real Name
    Jon

I would have to agree with Terrys suggested shot. You might want to stock up on bulbs though, even with your talent Mike it may take several attempts.

But this is truly a nice shot

Real Name
    Terry

My next suggestion would be to not waltz around the Studio barefoot!

You two are way too funny. There ought to be a law against your kind of sick humor.

I was actually thinking of Terry as I raised the hammer and tapped the bulb the first time, the second time and the third time. I'm so incompetent that the darn bulb wouldn't break. All the time, I was thinking about how careful Terry is being with the blown glass that he is photographing to ensure that he doesn't accidentally break it...when I can't intentionally break mine. Finally, I wrapped a towel around the bulb to keep the pieces from spreading to all corners of the room and really whacked it. Sure enough, it broke that time.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 20th May 2013 at 03:45 AM.

Real Name
    Greg

The larger piece in the top l/h corner -- makes me feel like I am inside a submarine cave looking out...

I'm confused Greg. Is that good, bad or just coincidental?

Real Name
    Christina

Fabulous photo.... not my favourite subject of yours but fabulous just the same!

Thanks, Christina!

Real Name
    Terri

I'm always reluctant to comment on stuff like this because it's not my thing, but since it's you, Mike, I'll go ahead.

I'm wondering why you made the decision to lay all the pieces out so nicely. I think technically you've done a good job of photographing the pieces and I like the black background. But aesthetically, it seems pretty flat. Wouldn't you get more of a story out of a jamble of pieces?

Funny that I thought the same thing as Greg since the top piece was the first I saw as I scrolled down and had not yet really gotten the context. That's an interesting effect which is a good thing, but not necessarily in the context of your picture.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Mike - while I think the shot is well executed, my thoughts somewhat parallel Terri's.

My first though was that Humpty Dumpty had taken his great fall, and all the king's horses and all the king's men have gathered the pieces and neatly organized them prior to beginning the hopeless task of putting him together again. Everything looks too well organized.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback about the organized appearance. I made it that way to emphasize the individual shapes of each piece. I'll try revisiting it using a disorganized approach as well as using a different tabletop that I have in mind.

Thanks again!

Real Name
    james

Neat shot Mike ,but I cant help but laugh thijnking about how many blows with a hammer to break a bulb . If you accidentally barely touched it surely it would have burst .

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I'm confused Greg. Is that good, bad or just coincidental?
    Well, I thought it was good, Mike. I thought you could have just photographed that one piece and let the viewer's imagination take over.

Thanks, Greg. I do like your idea of photographing the one piece and had not thought of that.