Assorted 6 leggers.

Assorted 6 leggers.

Assorted 6 leggers.

Assorted 6 leggers.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Re: Assorted 6 leggers.

Hi Bobo
    Nice shots. But I am not experienced enough to really comment on the technicalities of these which I assume were meant to approach macro captures. On this basis, as insect shots, #2 and #5 get my vote. With the others the insects for me are totally sidelined by other subject matter. But as I said, macro shots are outside my realm at the moment. I am sure others will be able to be more constructive in their comments.
    Cheers
    K

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I'll never understand how anyone has the patience to do this kind of photography. On the other hand, I'm sure a lot of people would never have the patience to build my makeshift studio, much less do the stuff in it that I do.

#5 is my clear favorite.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Ken and Mike.

It is hard to describe the why. I took up photography as a means to add interest to walks. Walks started when I got really bored with going to the gym. Still at it 2+ years later so the walk + pic combo seems to work for me. Macro makes for some decent flexibility exercise so added that to the mix. So....

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Dear Bobo,

3, 4 and 5 for me. #3 - I admire how you captured a WIF (wasp in flight) although I was wishing for a tighter crop. You must have had the settings just right. #4 - I love the iridescent colors on the fly. The focus is spot on, too. #5 - same as #4. Excellent focus.

To me, 1 and 6 needed more definition in terms of what was subject. #2 has that green OOF thingy across the wasp.

Nice critters,

Marie

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Marie for the detailed cc.

With most insects I try to keep shutter speeds as high as possible usually between 1/500 - 1/1000 because one never knows what is going to pop into the frame. Tracking and fiddling with settings is not something I am competent with atm.

Tighter crop of 3. Hmmm. Lets see if the pic can survive that without breaking up. My concern with this shot was I was unable to avoid that fence.
    Quick try.
    Assorted 6 leggers.

I agree with the other comments. Consistency is something I am still working on.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 24th May 2013 at 09:05 PM.

Real Name
    Christina

I think #3 & #5 are beautiful captures.. And I think that edit looks great.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Great stuff here BoBo. I know from my recent expedition to the woods just how trying it is to capture shots like these. It is dead calm, or so you think, then go for a macro shot and it looks as if there is a gale blowing. I'm seriously thinking of rigging up a 'steady-arm" that I can attach to the tripod and to a plant stem. I know you can buy them but they're not cheap for what they are. Some ingenuity required!!
    I also agree with you about the speed of exposure but that is often a utopian dream. Under a leafy canopy the light can be very poor and with an ageing DSLR and ISO 400 as a practical limit it's not always possible. I've tried using a flash but with nervy critters you only have the one opportunity for a shot! Again more ingenuity required!
    So what am I saying? Basically I admire your skills. These shots are far from easy.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    My concern with this shot was I was unable to avoid that fence.
    ...maybe you could remove it with clone stamp tool? (Yeah, I know it sucks, but...)

BTW, a very nice series, Bobo. All good, numbers 2 and 4 topping, IMO.

Real Name
    Steve

Nice group of 6 leggers, bobo.

Real Name
    Joe

Nice ones Bobo, using your macro it appears.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Otavio, appreciate your input. Cloning the fence? It covers the entire background left and right. I have little faith in my background replacement skills. But then that would not be me - leave things as they are is easier.

Thanks Steve, appreciate the nice words.

Thanks Joe - yes, the "fixed" macro. Oddly it seems sharper after the fix but the outer ring issue remains but with macros it does not show.

Thanks Christina. Marie's suggestion actually. Did not think it would work.

Thanks Mike - oh yes you have said in a few words the issues we have to deal with.

Regarding the steady arm - I made a pair out of battery clamps and thin flexible wire. Added an additional metal ring in between for the times when looping the object is necessary. I will post a pic if you want. Cost < $10 the pair. 3 other tools I carry around are a magnifying glass, a cutter and a scissors. BUT, have never used any of them. The things we think we need eh?

If steady is an issue consider a thin piece of plastic piping and use it like a sliding tripod in the left hand. One guy I know uses such a thing with great results.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 25th May 2013 at 04:22 PM.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks Otavio, appreciate your input. Cloning the fence? It covers the entire background left and right. I have little faith in my background replacement skills. But then that would not be me - leave things as they are is easier.
    Sorry, just leave it the way it is. It just came to my mind because you mentioned that the unablity to avoid the fence was your concern with that shot. Anyway, it would be a lot of work, indeed!