Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Old Man at the Park

Real Name
    Blake

Old Man at the Park

Old Man at the Park

Since the weather has been nice, I've been at the park more often lately and since I bought an X100, I've had something I can handle carrying when I don't intend to shoot.

Anyway, what I really wanted here was to isolate the way the light was hitting the old man to make him stand out more. After a few different edits this is what I came up with. I tried B+W but it feels too moody. What do you guys think?

Re: Old Man at the Park

It is definitely a 'moody scene'.

But I don't think you need all that dark grass in the foreground. However cropping that will probably mean a different size ratio. You could probably lose a fraction from the top if necessary.

Maybe 4 x 5; or 5 x 4 ratio, or even try a square crop?

Real Name
    Sharon

Hi Blake, really good shot.

My question would be 'Is it a portrait..within a Landscape?

Or a 'landscape with a person in it?'

At the moment i would suggest it is the latter but you would prefer it to be the former.

Crops and mono treatment can change that aspect and emphasis but first you have to decide which it is.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by blakemcguire View Post
    what I really wanted here was to isolate the way the light was hitting the old man to make him stand out more.
    You did that and more. Nicely done!

I would crop to eliminate about half of the grass.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Blake,
    This is the kind of image I love. The mood, lighting and the story it conveys. Wonderful!

Real Name
    Joydeep Roy

Overall nice shot especially the composition. The lighting condition was not ideal but the mood was well captured. I like the sky and the foreground. If I were to change anything perhaps eliminate the empty bench.

Real Name
    Claudio

I love this image.. maybe little less underneath..to much grass.. but love the loneliness of the man.. i feel heart sore for him.. i actually think the extra empty bench adds to the loneliness. I wish there were a lady sitting on that other bench. Then again..if you do that..you changing the whole story of the image,... i still really love this image. Gratz

Real Name
    Claudio

I've been looking at image on tablet.. if you crop the image higher..to about where the 'black' grass is... you'll find that the man is moreisolated.."bigger sky and space".. and it adds to the man's loneliness. But this is just the way i see the image. And that's i think why we all love photography . we all wish we took that image and made it our own..so again...gz to you