Thread: Please Indulge a Grandpa

Real Name
    Kevin

Please Indulge a Grandpa

Was babysitting for my daughter a few days ago, and had about 2 hours to surprise her with some shots of our 2nd grandchild. I was by myself, so arranging baby, lighting and time was a bit stressful. Interested in your thoughts-my daughter hasn't seen these yet.

Please Indulge a Grandpa

Please Indulge a Grandpa

Please Indulge a Grandpa

Please Indulge a Grandpa

Please Indulge a Grandpa

Please Indulge a Grandpa

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Please Indulge a Grandpa

Well, I think the old man did a pretty good job. I am sure these will be treasured.

Not sure that the angle on 5 works so well. #3 is beautiful.

Lovely series.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I can see you were mesmerized by the tiny hands. A lovely set of shots recording the fragility of a small baby.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thaks, Donald and Paul.

My original intent was to do a montage of several, tiny baby parts fairly close up. That plan fell apart almost immediately when I woke her up trying to position her and then discovering she has no clue what "hold still" means. Lacking an assistant to pin her parts down, I just did the best I could. Her hands are EVERYWHERE.

Regarding #5, I wanted one shot to feature her tiny, perfect ears, but all my shots were stultifyingly boring, and 5 was all I could think of. I'll probably not share that one with my daughter.

I'd like to do a reshoot, but definitely with some assistance next time. Still, a labor of love and it was mostly fun.

Real Name
    Keith

I love #1 Kevin. She is interested in what is going on. I understand what you mean about a montage of 'parts' and about those wonderful tiny ears, then there are the fingers and the feet. To me the problem with photographs of the grandkids as babies is that they don't have the other things that make tiny babies so wonderful - none of that milky, talcum powder and soap smell, or the other smells, none of the little sounds they make and none of that lovely soft touch they have when they grip your fingers. If you are like me with our kids and grandkids your brain will record all of those things for you.

My oldest grandchild was 19 two days ago so your post has brought all of the images and records of him, my best buddy, to the fore. Thanks for sharing your little one.

- Keith

Real Name
    Dan

I'd say you nailed it Grandpa. If your daughter is a crier you better deliver the photos with a box of tissues.

Real Name
    Terri

Kevin,

I absolutely love #1, #3 & #5. To put things in context, I missed the mothering gene, never had children and never regretted it. But these pictures brought a tear to my eye. They are beautiful and your daughter will love them. #3 touched me especially because my Dad would have made such a wonderful grandpa!! Don't hold back, let her decide which she likes.

It's a special gift you are giving your daughter.

Real Name
    Greg

I think your daughter will love you for these, Kevin, they're not your average baby photos. 1, 2, 3 are my picks - especially, 2 and 3.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

A very nice set Kevin. Interesting to see the different perspectives and views of others. No. 5 is my favourite. It tells a story. JMHO. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks all for your kind words. Clearly a very subjective genre. I'll take Terri's always sage advice and let Mom pick.

Keith- loved your description of the "experience" of the infant. I'd be eternally grateful if I could one day call one of my grandkids "my best buddy".

Real Name
    Bobo

Lovely series. Definitely get them on print.

About being left alone with a baby - same thing happened a couple of weeks ago to us. Instead of nice pics we got a ticket for a parking violation.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks, Bobo. Well under way!