Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sleep mode canon speed lights

Real Name
    Kay

Sleep mode canon speed lights

A random question, do any other users go in and turn off the 'sleep' function on canon 430 or 580 ex II
    I have a basketball team photo day & will be doing some Individual shots between each team, with a second camera setup & was planning on leaving the main team setup with speedlights & pocket wizards on ready for next team.
    Then I read about not letting them go into sleep mode makes it easier /quicker to get going again.
    I am of course reading the manuals, but wanted opinions/experience if anyone as any to share.
    Thankyou

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Sleep mode canon speed lights

I'm not an expert here, but in terms of the 'quicker to get going again', everything is relative. So far as I know, no settings get changed as as result of everything going to sleep. It all just needs that extra couple of seconds to wake up.

So, if it's that couple of seconds that counts as the 'slower' being implied, I think that unless you need instant access you could live with that. Haven't a clue what is menat by 'easier'. I can't see anything that's difficult.

Can you recall if what you read said what was easier/quicker (or why is was less easy and less quick)? Or is this a case of a sloppy author writing something without thinking it through?

Real Name
    Kay

Thanks Donald
    It was on a pocket wizard webinar - he said oh I thought I turned off all my speedlights 'sleep function' but missed this one, then went over to the light & pushed something.... Which made me think crickey the lights won't fire on a PW if the flash gets into sleep mode, which doesn't tally with canon manuals as basically it says half press shutter to wake up or press pilot (which if light up high, might be a nuisance)
    Hence my confusion...

Its a case of balancing battery use with time. Going into sleep mode saves the battery on the camera and flash. This can be useful if there is a long period of time between uses. However if you are shooting lots of people one after another it is probably not going to save much battery and may waste time.

Real Name
    Lex

I keep the sleep mode off on my 580EX IIs. Not because it's truly a problem, but because I want predictable behavior, even at the expense of slightly decreased battery life. Note that if the flashes sleep on their Pocket Wizards, you'll have to fire a test shot to wake them up (similar to how the first shot after hooking up the PW system doesn't trigger the flashes). Again, totally manageable, and probably the way to go if you need to set up your lights and leave them alone for a long time.

Real Name
    Bill S

I thought this was a case where the capacitors used to generate the necessary voltage to produce the flash cannot maintain that charge indefinitely, so over time they dissipate slightly and then flash needs to "top them up" so to speak. That is why if you listen to an idle flash, you will hear it do that high pitched noise, then stop, then if you wait a bit it will do it again. If you let the flash go to sleep, it doesn't to that periodic "top up" and thus when you go to use the flash, it may need to do a full recycle before being ready to fire again. However, it will come at a cost in battery life. I have NK Guy's very good book about EOS flashes at home, so I will see if I can find a more definitive answer for you there this evening if I remember.

- Bill

Real Name
    Kay

Thankyou all for replies, it is the fact that they are on the PWs that is the question.
    The chap on the PW webinar acted as if they wouldn't fire at all if let go to sleep.
    The tricky part is I won't know until I meet each team, how many families want Individuals, which I will do at another camera 'station' leaving the team station, ready on tripod, lights in place on PWs for next team... Who will be wtg.
    Thanks again for the discussion & for looking up the book Bill.

Real Name
    Ken

Why don't you try it at home using all the systems to see if it does make any difference. That way you will also be able to see that everything works!

Real Name
    Kay

Hi Ken
    You read my mind, I set up one in my office all day today.
    Left it go for extended periods of 'idleness' without changing the custom functions, then every time I picked up the camera & took a test - everything just woke up & fired perfectly every time....
    So maybe the guy on the webinar had the whole thing turned off & was just turning it on again.