Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Arabesque

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Arabesque

Arabesque can mean "an ornament or style that employs flower, foliage, or fruit and sometimes animal and figural outlines to produce an intricate pattern of interlaced lines."

Please view in dark background.

Comments welcomed.

Arabesque

Karm

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Arabesque

This is a wall-hanger, Karm. All the bright areas of the background are in the right place. The parts of the branches that go beyond the frame are at the right place (two small exceptions perhaps noted below). The tones are wonderful.

An "arabesque" can also be a particular type of classical music. I think of a typical arabesque as being romantic, flowing and evocative of a dancer's fluidity. Indeed, your image strikes me as a tree limb that is dancing.

Notice the one small twig on the right side of the frame that is not attached to anything but the frame. Similarly, notice the little bit of twig in the top right corner. Consider digitally eliminating both of those so the image is consistent throughout in that regard. If you decide to take me up on only one of those situations, I would vote for eliminating the twig in the top right corner as the highest priority.

There is a tiny bit of halo effect that perhaps appears only in your downsized version created for use on the Internet. You have so much contrast between the dark twigs and the background that you can err on the side of under sharpening rather than over sharpening. Please be sure, if you haven't already done so, that your master file doesn't include even the slightest hint of those halos.

Again, very well done. (I'm really supposed to believe that you've been doing this stuff for only 2 years? )

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Re: Arabesque

Thanks Mike. I didn't see the twig in top right corner. I'll eliminate that one. The other twig you referred to I decided to keep since its directional flow is consistent with the rest of the image.

When I look at this image I also see an abstract of a dancer.

While I'm relatively new to photography (this is my third summer using a camera) I have spent a lifetime looking at the world -- I was the kid who could sit still for hours just looking. If I have any strength as a photographer it is in seeing things that most other people miss.

Karm