Thread: Tucker Time

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Tucker Time

Fatso was waddling around filling its face, ripping up the weeds that pass for lawn here, just outside our back door, from where I took this. The ground is too rocky and we don't have enough water to run to the luxury of a real lawn. We have to make do mowing the few weeds that persist and pretending it is a bowling green. Mind you, this takes a lot of imagination.
    Thanks for viewing and for any comments you may care to make. Much appreciated.

Tucker Time

Real Name
    Cat

Re: Tucker Time

cute!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Certainly looks well-fed on those weeds! What is it?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It's a bird, Donald. (Glad to know I wasn't the only person who doesn't know what it is.)

Real Name
    Andrew

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    Thank you, Andrew. That's me learnt something today.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Oh dear, I done gone done it yet one more time. So sorry dear people. But Galahs are just so common around us, with almost the frequency of the common house sparrow that I just assumed, most incorrectly, that everyone would recognize it.
    FYI Donald Galahs are regarded from their antics to be the clowns of the bird world. They are also considered to be so fairly low on the IQ rating scale as to be considered fairly stupid. I cannot verify the accuracy of this observation. However if here Down Under one is referred to as a 'Galah' then one is being alluded to as a stupid person and a bit of a larrakin to boot, and not in a complimentary fashion.
    Sorry for my species identification lapse.
    Last edited by ucci; 13th May 2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: english corrections

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    However if here Down Under one is referred to as a 'Galah' then one is being alluded to as a stupid person and a bit of a larrakin to boot, and not in a complimentary fashion.
    And the word "galah" is often preceded by the word "bloody" to add a bit of sting to the disdain. You could substitiute "galah" with words like "dill", "clown", "drongo", "idiot" etc but nothing comes close to "galah" - it has such a good ring to it.

Dave

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    And the word "galah" is often preceded by the word "bloody" to add a bit of sting to the disdain. You could substitiute "galah" with words like "dill", "clown", "drongo", "idiot" etc but nothing comes close to "galah" - it has such a good ring to it.

Dave
    Spot on Dave!

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    It's a bird, Donald. (Glad to know I wasn't the only person who doesn't know what it is.)
    Down under we are taught about the birds and the bees and can tell a Galah from a Kiwi.
    Ken spring a kangaroo on them that should stump the Scots not so sure about someone from Washington I understand they are usually pretty worldly.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Ken spring a kangaroo on them that should stump the Scots not so sure about someone from Washington I understand they are usually pretty worldly.
    We'll just let that one pass by .......... as you drive to your work on a tarmacadam road (invented by a Scotsman) on a vehicle with pneumatic tyres (invented by a Scotsman). If you get delayed, you can phone (invented by a Scotsman) to notify people. But don't try and watch any TV (invented by a Scotsman). Don't get ill or you might need penicillin (discovered by a Scotsman), but at the end of the day if it really gets too much for you, you need to turn to religion and you're Christian, the first name that you see when opening the traditional King James Bible, is that of a Scotsman (James VI and I) who authorised the first translation into English.

Then we can start to talk about The Enlightenment (Adam Smith et al) and the role Scots played (not through behaviour always to be proud of) in the creation of what became the British Empire.

And we're modest!

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    We'll just let that one pass by .......... as you drive to your work on a tarmacadam road (invented by a Scotsman) on a vehicle with pneumatic tyres (invented by a Scotsman). If you get delayed, you can phone (invented by a Scotsman) to notify people. But don't try and watch any TV (invented by a Scotsman). Don't get ill or you might need penicillin (discovered by a Scotsman), but at the end of the day if it really gets too much for you, you need to turn to religion and you're Christian, the first name that you see when opening the traditional King James Bible, is that of a Scotsman (James VI and I) who authorised the first translation into English.

Then we can start to talk about The Enlightenment (Adam Smith et al) and the role Scots played (not through behaviour always to be proud of) in the creation of what became the British Empire.

And we're modest!
    I am one of those annoying ambivalent characters that happily refers to their Scots ancestry when it suits them especially in light of your list which I know could have been much longer. However my knowledge of the birds and the bees means that modesty stops me from going as far as wearing a kilt in the rumoured traditional manner.

Real Name
    Bruce

I like the colors on the Galah (or whatever) in this pic. Bruce

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    ... your list which I know could have been much longer.
    Yeh, there is a monograph out there. It runs to about two pages and goes on, like I did, abouy all the wonderful achievements and inventions of Scots, seeking to make the point about the disproportionate impact (in terms of population) that Scots have had on the world. I haven't seen it (the written document) for quite few years. It's a bit of semi-serious fun.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

And we're modest!
    Ah Donald, you are really so modest that you forgot to mention the most significant Scottish invention of them all... Copper wire... Apparently it came from two Scotsmen fighting over a penny they saw lying on the pavement whilst they were out walking...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Ah Donald, you are really so modest that you forgot to mention the most significant Scottish invention of them all... Copper wire... Apparently it came from two Scotsmen fighting over a penny they saw lying on the pavement whilst they were out walking...
    The colonists are starting to get nasty!

Real Name
    Bruce

Yeh, there is a monograph out there. It runs to about two pages and goes on, like I did, abouy all the wonderful achievements and inventions of Scots, seeking to make the point about the disproportionate impact (in terms of population) that Scots have had on the world. I haven't seen it (the written document) for quite few years. It's a bit of semi-serious fun.
    Donald, the greatest virtue you Scots have is your humility. Bruce

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Donald when I was a youngen a very wise man once remarked to me, " There are only two types of people in the world. Those who are Scots. And those who want to be."

Real Name
    Joe

Well done Ken, wish they were in Florida so colorful and interesting.