Thread: Cornwall - still sunny

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Cornwall - still sunny

One of the reasons I love Cornwall is for the flowers, especially in spring. So I went armed with my macro lens

Cornwall - still sunny

But soon I was trying to capture the bigger picture of the gardens and the colour abounding there rather than my usual close up - have I succeeded ?

Cornwall - still sunny

On the first image I wanted a shallower depth of field but didn't achieve the result I wanted - any tips on how to achieve in future welcome

Cornwall - still sunny

The second image would have been better a week later with all the wild garlic in flower, but I couldn't wait for that long

Cornwall - still sunny

This was the entrance to one of the garden 's we visited. It was the gate that look my eye but when I viewed the photo realised the bush on the left added colour. I couldn't do anything about the tree trunk on the right which is a slight annoyance

Cornwall - still sunny

Cornwall - still sunny

The last two capture the essence of Southern Cornwall for me - about the only place where tree ferns survive in the UK

All comments welcome
    Thanks
    Kaye

Re: Cornwall - still sunny

Regarding your first image, Kaye.

I find that most macro shots need a fairly good depth of focus to have a decent focus area over a flower, unless you wish to concentrate on just a small area.

This means that some background management is usually desirable. Tatty leaves, parts of other plants in the shot or dead blooms have to be removed and any 'unsightly' areas of the background cleaned up a little.

Also, some cropping of the final image is frequently needed. And consider the final image size ratio when shooting. For example, if you think you will end up wanting a 4 x 5 ratio crop, shoot with sufficient space allowance in your framing.

I find that most 'long focus' views work best when the foreground is fairly sharp and gradually fading into a distant blur. Which you seem to have achieved fairly well with these shots.

Spot metering on the brightest areas then recovering the shadows during editing is often necessary. HDR shots sound fine in theory but often fail due to wind movement on foliage etc.

ps. I'm also from the 'far south' but just 'over the water' in Devon.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Re: Cornwall - still sunny

Thanks Geoff for your comments, really helpful.