Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photos using a 'shift' lens

Real Name
    Peter

Photos using a 'shift' lens

I went out as it was sunny to finish up a 2002 outdated AGFA ULTRA 50 film I had loaded in my Pentax 6x7 Mk II so I finished it up at at a local Church in South Weald Village as the Magnolia was out in bloom -- I used my 75m f4.5 SMC Takumar 'Shift' lens which I had got when I bought my 6x7 Mk I in 1979 to do Architectural Photography -- I did a lot of 6x7 format transparencies for a company which then went BROKE so no more work!
    Pentax 6x7 03 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
    Here is St Peter's Church entrance BUT there were several parked cars in the way below the blue notice board so I had to cut them out that is why it does not have any 'base'
    Ultra 05 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
    Here is one in another church showing use of the shift lens, time exposure, verticals ( hopefully! ) good .
    All Saints Warley by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Photos using a 'shift' lens

Hi Pete,

I can't help feeling the first shot, of the camera and lens, needs something for scale, perhaps a coin - I think many that aren't aware might be surprised, given the styling of the body

So this lens does the shift, for perspective correction, but not the tilt for 'laying over' the DoF plane?

I am puzzled by the apparent dual aperture scales, can you enlighten me please?

Cars in front of buildings are a pain, aren't they.

Real Name
    Walad Jam

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
    I went out as it was sunny to finish up a 2002 outdated AGFA ULTRA 50 film I had loaded in my Pentax 6x7 Mk II so I finished it up at at a local Church in South Weald Village as the Magnolia was out in bloom -- I used my 75m f4.5 SMC Takumar 'Shift' lens which I had got when I bought my 6x7 Mk I in 1979 to do Architectural Photography -- I did a lot of 6x7 format transparencies for a company which then went BROKE so no more work!
    Pentax 6x7 03 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
    Here is St Peter's Church entrance BUT there were several parked cars in the way below the blue notice board so I had to cut them out that is why it does not have any 'base'
    Ultra 05 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
    Here is one in another church showing use of the shift lens, time exposure, verticals ( hopefully! ) good .
    All Saints Warley by pentaxpete, on Flickr
    Hi Peter,

Awesome! What a lovely shots. Thanks for sharing. Shift lens is my dream lens. I hope to own this one day...

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Pete,

I can't help feeling the first shot, of the camera and lens, needs something for scale, perhaps a coin - I think many that aren't aware might be surprised, given the styling of the body

So this lens does the shift, for perspective correction, but not the tilt for 'laying over' the DoF plane?

I am puzzled by the apparent dual aperture scales, can you enlighten me please?

Cars in front of buildings are a pain, aren't they.
    Dave : the twin 'aperture scales' are because it's like the Russian lenses -- 'pre-set' where you choose an aperture on the first ring say f11 and on the second ring you open it up to full aperture to focus then before you expose you turn the second ring until it stops and it stops at f11. NO there is no 'TILT' as on a bellows camera for the 'Scheimpflug Rule', but there are many degrees of upwards,downwards and sideways shift