Thread: Sunset at Mono Lake

Real Name
    Allan Short

Sunset at Mono Lake

As I stayed over at Mono Lake, I posted a sunrise shot for there so I thought that I would post one at sunset, now we have pretty clear skys at the lake there were some over the distance mountain range to the west.This gave some colour to the sky after the sun went below the mountains lighting the sky yet the lake was in that blue phase of light of after the sun setting. This was a bracketed 3 shot image hand held, done as a 32 point flowing tiff, then brought back into adobe raw adjusted using raw, then photoshop to selective sharping and final adjustiments.

Cheers:

Allan

Sunset at Mono Lake

Real Name
    David

Re: Sunset at Mono Lake

Hi Allan, this is a nice shot of a place I have driven by on many occasions but not had the chance to catch the "Golden Hours" of light for shots like yours. I actually like your morning shot which you posted earlier much better. I can't say if it's the processing or what. I would like to ask a question though (and this is an assumption on my part). Is your sensor dirty? Just above the Tufa formations on the right side of the image I see some dark spots. Then again, it could be my own advancing age and physical lack of clarity on the part of my eyeballs.

Please show more if you can. I would be particularly interested in just where on the lake you got these.

Dave

P.S. If you ever get back to that neck of the woods, you would be remiss if you don't stay a night at Benton Hot Springs (they're on the web). What a fabulous place to relax!!!

Real Name
    Allan Short

David: you are right I missed those dust bunnies, I guess I was looking to hard at the image and missed them. As for location, South Tufa's, the morning shot east side looking north at what I believe they call the "Ghost Ship", and the evening shot the west side facing north so the east side of the South Tufa if that makes any sense.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Tom

Great subject. I feel the processing was distracting for me. If it was my shot I might try and get a closer shot of the rocks in the foreground to give a better scale to the subjects in the background. I would tackle this one from ground level, but imho I usually end up done there crawling around