Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Afternoon Off (infrared)

Real Name
    Anthony

Afternoon Off (infrared)

Yes, it's me...the only weirdo around here who likes to shoot in infrared

I do love it though, it forces you to think a bit differently before during and after shooting. A lot of these shots I am going to revisit in a month when all the leaves are fully on the trees. I think the leaves will makes some of these images pop a bit more. I do feel like I have gotten a lot better since I started coming on these forums. Thanks to all of you who have given me critiques and "atta-boys".

Anyway, here are some shots that I took this afternoon at the park and walking around town. The first three are of the church I attend. I couldn't decide between the three, so I put them all on. Which one do you guys like best? The next two are of a boardwalk at a nearby lake. The reflection this morning were really great and I was trying to capture that. The next is of a wind vane, which on the surface seems boring, but when I saw it I really felt like the goose was trying to fly into the sky. It's rustiness kind of match the red infrared sky and made me think of an old western on a dusty wind-torn plain. The next is a tulip. After PP, I though it looks best in B&W. The last image is, well...a tree in front of the barn. It is probably the weakest of the bunch. I though the texture of the barn walls and the pine needles looked cool against each other.

Afternoon Off (infrared)

Afternoon Off (infrared)

Afternoon Off (infrared)

Afternoon Off (infrared)

Afternoon Off (infrared)

Afternoon Off (infrared)

Afternoon Off (infrared)

Afternoon Off (infrared)

Feed back is AWESOME. Bring it on!
    -ANthony

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Afternoon Off (infrared)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymagister View Post
    Feed back is AWESOME. Bring it on!
    Anthony

When there are a number of images in a post (in this case, 8), I always find it difficult to provide constructive criticism on the individual images and can only think in terms of a general view about the set. And, insofar as that is the case, this, I think, is a very imaginative and well executed set. I think you have used IR for appropriate scenes ( I sometimes feel people who shoot infrared don't always think about whether to really works for the scene)s). In this case, I think it does.

Real Name
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Anthony

When there are a number of images in a post (in this case, 8), I always find it difficult to provide constructive criticism on the individual images and can only think in terms of a general view about the set. And, insofar as that is the case, this, I think, is a very imaginative and well executed set. I think you have used IR for appropriate scenes ( I sometimes feel people who shoot infrared don't always think about whether to really works for the scene)s). In this case, I think it does.
    Thanks for the input. I think you might be right about posting too many photos. I mostly do it because, as a busy person, I don't get the chance to upload images very often. So when I do have the time I feel like I should get them all up. Do you shoot IR too? I am still very much a beginner. What sort of things wouldn't you shoot in IR? I did take my converted camera to the zoo today with my kids and I should say that a camel in infrared looks kind if silly . Thanks for your input.

Real Name
    Brian Y.

very nice treatments with IR. I am trying to possibly get into IR shooting. but at the time im still on the fence. I would like to know what filter you used, lens and camera. thanks!

Real Name
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by LLP View Post
    very nice treatments with IR. I am trying to possibly get into IR shooting. but at the time im still on the fence. I would like to know what filter you used, lens and camera. thanks!
    Thanks for the compliment! I have always thought IR picture were cool. That is honestly almost all I shoot in these days. I first started using a Hoya 72 filter on my canon T3i. I got only Average results. I really didnt enjoy shooting at the extremely slow shutter speeds that the filter required. It meant I couldnt shoot people and clouds were always blurry. So, I sent in my older Canon XS into Lifepixel (250$) to have it permanently converted to IR only. I used their enhanced IR filter. They have a choice of about five different ones. The videos on their website are very instructive. Now I can shoot at any shutter speed, so I dont have to lug around a tripod everywhere. It was well worth the investment. In fact, when I finally upgrade to a full frame camera, I plan on coverting my Canon T3i into infrared and selling my XS. If you feel thatnyou might be really interested, I would go fr th full conversion. Otherwise you'll spend the money on a filter and then be frustrated when you can't donwhat you want. Good luck!