Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My Friend Badr

Real Name
    Jimmy

My Friend Badr

Picture taken @ Montmorency's fall in quebec city. I like them shot myself, i'm just a bit upset that i completely blasted the sky on both...

My Friend Badr

ExposureTime - 1/100 seconds
    FNumber - 5.00
    ISOSpeedRatings - 200
    Flash - Not fired
    FocalLength - 38.00 mm

My Friend Badr

ExposureTime - 1/100 seconds
    FNumber - 3.50
    ISOSpeedRatings - 100
    Flash - Not fired
    FocalLength - 18.00 mm
    Last edited by JimG; 4th May 2013 at 02:33 AM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: My Friend Badr

Your model is very good looking. One solution to your exposure problem would be to expose for the bright areas of the background and to use fill flash to brighten the subject.

Real Name
    John

Very nice image. Like you I probably wouldn't pay attention to the reflections in the glasses, unless they contained something interesting, but on hindsight would have tried a cpl filter or corrected in post processing.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Thinking "outside the box" ...

My Friend Badr

Difficult to get anything else in those conditions, Jimmy.

Your only alternatives would be to shoot for HDR, if there wasn't any movement problems, or use flash.

I think I would have metered for the background and manually set the camera for that. Then used flash to lighten the foreground model.

It would probably take a few test shots and need a little flash compensation to suit the ambient lighting.

Real Name
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Your model is very good looking. One solution to your exposure problem would be to expose for the bright areas of the background and to use fill flash to brighten the subject.
    Hi Mike, thanks for the feedback, i wont tell him that, his ego's big enough as is haha! as far as the flash goes, its a good idea, at the time i took the photos i didn't have a flash beside of the built in and i was scared of hotspots. i picked up an SB400 yesterday, next time ill be prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Very nice image. Like you I probably wouldn't pay attention to the reflections in the glasses, unless they contained something interesting, but on hindsight would have tried a cpl filter or corrected in post processing.
    Hey John, you're right i should have used a CPL, i will check on youtube to learn how to remove reflection and try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Thinking "outside the box" ...

My Friend Badr
    Hey Colin! I'm liking it a lot. i might even use it! 1 think i will use something different then white for the background tho, i find it a bit... harassing for lacking better words. I'll ad the name of my photography too, i'm Using "JimG Exposure". Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Difficult to get anything else in those conditions, Jimmy.

Your only alternatives would be to shoot for HDR, if there wasn't any movement problems, or use flash.

I think I would have metered for the background and manually set the camera for that. Then used flash to lighten the foreground model.

It would probably take a few test shots and need a little flash compensation to suit the ambient lighting.
    Hi Geoff, thanks for the feedback! i'm definitely interested in doing some HDR shots going forward, i just haven't looked into it at all yet. eventually. seeing what people can do with that technique makes me want to give it a spin sooner rather than later
    Last edited by JimG; 5th May 2013 at 07:45 PM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by JimG View Post
    Hey John, you're right i should have used a CPL, i will check on youtube to learn how to remove reflection and try it out!
    Just be aware that CPLs can throw skin tones off a bit.

Hey Colin! I'm liking it a lot. i might even use it! 1 think i will use something different then white for the background tho, i find it a bit... harassing for lacking better words. I'll ad the name of my photography too, i'm Using "JimG Exposure". Thanks for the idea!
    No worries

Before you throw away the white background, Google "Peter Hurley" ... he does headshots for the rich and famous at $1200 a session, and is regarded as the world's premier head shot photographer - and each and every one of them is on a white background.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=pe...w=1920&bih=951

Real Name
    Jimmy

oh wow yeah i see. Nice thanks!