Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Making lemonade

Real Name
    randy

Making lemonade

Last year at this time, I had mowed the lawn, I was shooting wildflowers like a mad man, and Spring was a month early.....................

Making lemonade

That was then, this is now: mad:

Proving basic laws of Physics........for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction! This year in Minnesota; we have yet to see 50 F, the snow is slow leaving the landscape ( every time it gets close, we seem to get hammered again....currently receiving another dose as I type).

Being a good Minnesotan, I make tuna casserole and just get on with it!

The truth of the matter is that the birds are returning, as scheduled, from warmer climates. Our normal winter residents have not left for points north. This all presents the enterprising ( and winter weary) amateur photog with the opportunity to see a lot of birds adorned in spring finery.

Making lemonade

Common redpolls- the very definition of angry birds

Making lemonade

Common Redpoll in breeding plumage, a rare sight in Minnesota. In a normal year they are long gone into Canada by this time

Making lemonade

Goldfinch

Making lemonade
    Goldfinch and Purple Finch

The really amusing story about this shot was immediately after, the snow under the goldfinch fractured. Think bird in free fall

Making lemonade
    Yellow rumped Warbler

It is reassuring that amongst all this white stuff falling there are signs of Spring

Real Name
    John

Re: Making lemonade

Nice image opportunities you've got there. With the bird shots, were you focusing on the snowfall or the birds, the shutter speed seems a bit slow.

Regarding the snowy weather, hopefully everyone is safe but glad to share the weather woes with someone else. We had a heavy hailstorm on Saturday, I am sure it's remnants of the same storm your region is experiencing.

Real Name
    randy

Re: Making lemonade

After all of these cold and snowy months of trudging out to provide food in the hopes of attracting my target species.................

Making lemonade

It all pays off